Sunday, April 7, 2013

A Sunday Night Cup





                                            Never Miss An Opportunity
                                                To Play In The Dirt



Sipping that last cup of tea before turning in. It has been a full weekend!
Have everything ready...and heading to Tennessee next week. Can't wait!
Rumor has it that Morels are already up down South!
Still waiting here...

Spent most of the day digging...mulching...and generally "playing in the dirt". The nails and polish experiments over until next winter. It has been fun...but I don't garden in gloves unless I'm pruning the roses. Want to feel the earth in my hands.

Plans for this year include an arbor of Concord Grapes...a couple of David Austin Damask Roses...expanding the veggie side to have trellised cucumbers...green (bush type) beans...onions...patio container red potatoes...green bell peppers and Roma Tomatoes. A half-barrel of strawberries. Planting one large and several small herb baskets to include garlic/oregano/basil/sage and a tea basket of mint/chamomile/valerian/lemon balm. Have also learned that Horseradish is definitely a container item. So invasive. Adding to my existing cutting garden...and can't wait to see the new varieties of irises I planted last fall bloom. Delphinium and Zinnias and Rose of Sharon, too. And SUNFLOWERS, of course. Expanding the "Frog Spa" and setting a half of a clay pot on its side for a toad/frog hideaway... also adding a small bistro-type set to the patio and perhaps a half-barrel with miniature water lilies and a few small fancy goldfish...later...oh...and a Meyer Patio Lemon Tree in a pot :)

If it sounds like a lot packed into my small urban space...well...getting a better grasp of verticals and container gardens this year. As much as I enjoy cooking with fresh ingredients...making my own tea blends and putting the extras by...I realize a few extra veggies/herbs/fruits are a must. I grew up with a Concord grape arbor in the backyard...and realized I want one of my own.

Celebrating the FIRST day it has been warm enough to BASK and have a bit of color, already!  (...yes...red is a color...)  May have overdid it for the first day of sun...but...it felt sooooooooooooo good!

Perfect Spring Weekend!

Angie...soon to be there with Good Coffee and Chocolate...Biscotti and REAL HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!