Thursday, June 13, 2013

A Muddy "Cup"








Muddy knees and dirt 'neath my nails!

Productive and fun-filled week.

Enjoyed a trek with Loretta and Rita to Avon on Wednesday...where we plundered Olive Garden for Soup...Salad and Tiramisu...and Target...Bath and Body and Michael's...came home with some beautiful silks (flowers)...Godiva Chocolate...and Forever Red (...love this warm new scent from B&B)

Out to Cox Nursery this morning and finally got my Tribute Strawberries bedded. Planted 20 crowns this afternoon...should give me all the berries I will use/freeze/or need to make jam (enough to share) and Sicilian liquor.

Working on my compost tote and should have it done by the weekend. Still have to get my vertical corner trellises up for the cucumbers before they start taking over. They are in a nice neat row at the back of the garden-spot but I can see a few rainfalls and they are going to cover the tiny garden like kudzu.

Donna and Eric sent home a handy gadget this week. A steamer. I had never cooked a meal in one before. They upgraded. I have a small rice steamer but this was a new and wonderful discovery for me.







Layered chicken...lemons and herbs in the bottom...and new potatoes and asparagus in the top. Set the timer...and left for a bubble bath with a glass of wine. By the time I was done...so was dinner :) And during the steaming the house smelled amazing! Love it! Not heating up the whole kitchen. So healthy. And minimal clean up.Thanks for the tip, Donna!


Also discovered a new author (...authoress...yes...like Lord of War...I still prefer it my way...by the time I became one...they had changed the word...) And enjoying a series of three of her books (fiction) a mingling of mystery with past life/reincarnation. The author M.J Rose and her novels:

The Reincarnationist

The Memorist

 The Book of Lost Fragrances

Not War and Peace, of course...just a nice Spring Afternoon's read. Engaging...parts based on factual information/events...even learned a few historical tidbits...well-paced and interesting.

The frogs are back in my "frog spa" now. Well..one so far.  A mini wetland creation just for them. Will have to pick up mealworms "skyfood" soon. Last year I would sit down with a book and Tucker on my lap and 6 heads would peer expectantly out of the water. Goddess of The Frogs!

Laugh all you want. It is a great gig!

And sadly...no new recipe this week. Have been doing a lot of steamed and fresh fruits and vegetables...yoghurt’s and ices...berries and nuts...as the temperatures rise and summer comes creeping in! And it feels wonderful!

Have a wonderful Father's Day Weekend 
full of chillin' and grillin' as my oldest says!



 
                                         New Portrait of Miley I am working on
                                                Rita's (...too cute...) Maltese