Friday, September 6, 2013

A "Bag Lady Starter Kit"



Happy Friday!

Still chuckling over yesterday's "bagging".
Yes indeed...I have been "bagged".

Off matt-ratting in Greenwood with friends...one who is a "bag lady"  No...not the wearing all their clothes and pushing everything they own in a stolen shopping cart. The kind who can size you up with a glimpse of your shoes and purse in a New York Minute. Who can spot a Vera Bradley or Michael Kors across a crowded store.

(...note that it is ONLY because of Loretta that I even know that Bradley or Kors exist...)

I have never understood purse and shoe people. And they probably could care less about my knowledge of herbs and roses, either. So we are even.

Since my fashion sense runs somewhere between non-existent and blue jeans/tee shirt/ a hobo bag and tennies...I can only imagine she re-outfits me in her mind each time we get together. And it's okay...my OCD gene runs closer to redecorating her front room...maybe some paint and oh for god sake let me do some landscaping...have you NEVER heard of plants, woman!
And we share and laugh about these quirks.

Until yesterday. We were breezing through Macy's and J.C Pennys. Enjoying Coffee and chat and brunch together. At the end of the day she brought forth a small package and handed it (quite satisfied with herself) to me with the admonishment I had to promise her I would use my black cloth hobo bag ONLY on library days when I needed the extra room for the books...but otherwise carry THIS.
It was a "bag lady" starter kit.

A modestly priced Nicole Miller. It is about the size of a sheet of standard typing paper with a thin leather and chained cross body strap. Inside there is room for gum...keys...a thin wallet or checkbook...maybe a small brush and a pen.

My best friend "Idgy" laughed until she cried when I related the days events and said she envisioned Loretta (who she met the last time she was up) waking up in the middle of the night, on the day before our shop & brunch, sitting bolt upright proclaiming

 "Enough is enough...today I will FIX this!"

Of course, I still have my jeans and tees and sneakers
 (for now...*gasp*)

But slowly realise that the whole bag thing is like giving a mouse a cookie...when I caught myself perusing these this morning... @@


And inside my head could hear Loretta laughing as surely as though she was standing beside me.  They are fabulous slouch boots, though...aren't they? And a PERFECT match.

OMG...what has she done????


So the end of a wonderful week and Fall is in the air...my roses are all blooming in that last rush of the season. Getting ready to re-sow more snow peas...spinach...and a few more green onions (cool weather crops) who love the crisp Fall weather as well as they did the chilly Spring.  Have been cutting and drying herbs and my Chocolate Mint (a new mint for me this year) which makes amazing hot tea!

The Book of the week...a small book of new poems entitled The World Will Follow Joy by Alice Walker.
Very uplifting and inspirational.

Soon to settle in a hot bubble bath with a cup of home grown
 Chocolate Mint tea :)


And maybe tomorrow slip over to her house and plant a David Austin Rose...heh heh heh...