Friday, September 13, 2013

My "Gardening Friday" Cup



Happy Friday!

Picked a pint of my Tributes last evening...yes they are STILL producing and blooming for even more...and mashed them in a small saucepan with sugar and a bit of lemon juice until they were fresh jam for this morning's toast!

Life is good.

Today was definitely a "beginning of Fall" gardening day. Stowed the cages and added the leftover stems and such to the compost bin. Also did a replant on the cool weather crops (green onions, spinach, snow peas) The herbs are mostly dried and squared away. Moved my newest rose (Raspberry Ice) to a better local as my Pink Fairy Rose was trying to assimilate it.  Dug a few of the sweet potatoes out of my flower beds for the weekend. And learning. I have discovered a great deal this year about managing a small urban garden-spot as opposed to the sprawling kitchen gardens of years past in the country. When space is at a premium...placement and rotation and composting and use of containers and vertical space become a necessity.  I am still in awe of the whole composting process...where left over vines/leaves/stems/ends and bits/paper/ eggshells and coffee grounds (when combined with a handful of red-worms working their magic) becomes dark rich crumbly soil!!! It's my first year with the bin...but I will always have one now.

So, somewhat encouraging news on the Syria front as Bashir Assad has tentatively agreed to turn over his chemical weapons arsenal (with the not-so- subtle encouragement of negotiations between President Obama and Russian President Putin).

And not so wonderful news as the Jersey Boardwalk....finally rebuilt from Hurricane Sandy suffered a huge loss yesterday as fire gutted a large section.

And Mother Nature has turned all "Joan Crawford on a RIP" with Colorado and left major flooding and several deaths in her wake.


And (finally) possibly the best commentary on the new Miley Cyrus video "Wrecking Ball" I have seen.







 Love the season change and decorating for Fall this weekend. Usually wait until October but it just feels...well...like FALL! Maybe even put on a pot of ham and beans bubbling. Can a caramel apple be far behind? Feel a trip to the orchard coming on!


And enjoyed a laugh as Loretta has asked me to teach her something else, recently.

She is wonderful. 72 years old and just never stops teaching others or wanting to learn. She also works out for two hours every morning...and as "Idgy"and I remarked...could probably kick both our asses. So far she has given me tips on make-up and fashion. When a 72 year old says you need to learn how to pencil in your eyebrows...you need to pencil in your brows. And I've already discussed her not so quiet approach with "The Bag" and she was  absolutely thrilled when I showed her the slouch boots to go with it!

During last winter she asked if I could teach her to crochet. She had never learned. She then proceeded to crochet her own infinity scarf (to match her hat and gloves) which was a nice as anything store bought.

Anyway...now she wants to learn how to use a computer. Surf the web. Order bags online maybe...lol.

OMG @@

So, we are going to start soon. From the beginning. Maybe with Net Nanny. 

"...don't LOOK Ethel!"

 Tea and cakes and laptops, oh my.

Back to the Fast Diet since the Summer Holidays and I continue to say it is the BEST lifestyle change I have seen. I have lost 10 pounds...3 inches around my waist...and an entire SIZE since I started this. And have done it while basically eating whatever I want on the non-fast days. Including a chocolate cupcake or three and the following dessert recipe. Hoping to reach my IBW by the end of the year.

This week's books...A new release by Rodney Jones: elegy for the southern drawl
A compilation of some of his best poetry including the title poem. A wonderful collection for just sitting on the porch enjoying- with a glass of sweet tea!

also

A Second Edition recent release of the Non-Fiction: Audubon Society Guide to Landscape Photography

Which is gearing me up for next season's new Canon Rebel Digital!  The book is filled with professional tips on how to achieve maximum results with digital landscape photography. Saving the ISBN number. This one may be an addition to my personal library.

and finally...what may be one of the Ultimate Fall Recipes gleaned thusfar ...though the season is still early.

Caramel Apple Cheesecake 

Which is essentially a vanilla bean cheesecake (baked or bought...doesn't matter) and topped with a warm thick layer of apple pie filling...then that layer topped with a warm thick gooey layer of soft caramel and scattered with pecan pieces. Served with a dollop of whipped cream dusted with cinnamon.  A simple dessert made elegant for Fall. If you make your own cheesecake I suggest Keebler Pecan Sandies crushed with butter and a bit of powdered sugar instead of a traditional graham cracker crust.
Presentation is amazing and it tastes even better!

Have a wonderful (almost Fall) Weekend!