Saturday, March 22, 2014

"Illegitimi non carborundum"...and other observations

Foremost, it has been a wonderful week...despite the speed-bumps...




Pam and I enjoying our "Annual Birthday with Lobsterfest" extravaganza. Midway between her 55th birthday and my 54th. We have been childhood friends for more than 40 years now :)  We used to talk about growing old together all those years ago when we were just girls...and now, it appears we have!

With Snowcrab legs and shrimp scampi and fried shrimp and (of course) stuffed lobster-tail and fresh asparagus! And a piece of Strawberry Topped NY Cheesecake for afters. Hours of chat and catch-up. Planning a mini-Southside trip to Indianapolis after Aiden arrives. Spend a week centrally located between her and James & Nicki's new place and have a bit more time with everyone.

And quilting (and piecing together) like crazy now...



And here is why...




Because she is going to *pop* soon! Or maybe they're just smuggling a beach ball. Loved seeing their new home. Nicki, you have done an outstanding job, hon. It is so comfortable and beautiful- and I LOVE the "baby's corner"!  Watch next week...I've a rocking chair headed your way :) Every Mom needs a rocking chair!

Especially nice because James was able to "off the road" for some home time. Was able to meet Scott, his team driver and see him...and Tanya brought the girls over to visit/check out his new ride. They are excited about the arrival of their baby brother!





And "Baby News" for Chris and Tina, too!

 No...not THEM.

Tina's sister Kimberly who is getting ready to deliver her baby girl (...who will also be named Emma) so they are gearing up for Auntie and Unclehood together. Saving for their house, coming later this year!


ETA? Most likely this weekend. They have been camped at Methodist since Friday.

So with all this happy news...what is "Illegitimi non carborundum" (...don't let the bastards get you down...) all about?

Received word the first part of the week that across the board (all of us who live in the apartments) must tear out our carefully built gardens and borders. 

 
And all future plantings and lawn items must be confined to our patio. WTH?

For me, this is a minor inconvenience.

Admittedly, it has taken a week to actually realize that.

I have only worked on my border garden for about 3 years. With the exception of the "frog spa" and my strawberry bed (and Angie I am lifting and mailing my Tribute Strawberry Crowns to you with your Spring Box...enjoy!)...it is little more than lifting three roses and containerizing them and replanting Mom Chandler's irises in a basket.  There are many here who have extensive areas that they have worked on for 8-10 years complete with patio sets and pavers and such. Well established roses and expansive beds. There are many who have it much much worse than I.

Yesterday I spent the afternoon disassembling the Frog Spa and lifting my roses. I have heeled them in until I can procure an appropriate container/planter. Later I will transplant the Irises. A neighbour/friend asked if I wanted her narrow wooden free-standing archway. I love it. Going to re-paint it to match my patio wood and get a couple of fast growing climbers to train over it. While removing my black mulch and realizing for the first time (ever) I am going to actually be planting grass/low growing white clover and moss...re-establishing a natural turf appearence...which is a whole new challenge...I also realized that the three years of bark-wood turned soil and mouldering leaves- makes an absolutely perfect medium for morels...so in addition to seeding...I will be sporing the old border area heavily with morel mycelium...for (hopefully) next Spring MORELS!
Right outside my door. Yeah...I know.

That moment of clarity was my silver lining.

~laughing~ 

There always is one.

So looking at baskets and containers. Roses and plants. Looking forward to seeding and sporing the old border.  And by summer, my patio garden is going to be fabulous!

As well as having these to look forward to next Spring...in my "patch" popping up just outside my patio!


 
And all is right with the world.

This week's book "Inferno" Dan Brown's latest and greatest. With twists and turns in the plot that rivalled Grisham's Pelican Brief this book will keep you riveted. Opening with the now-familiar character of Robert Langdon waking in a hospital after being grazed with a head shot...and in seconds an assassin bursts into his room to try to "finish the job".  A mysterious artifact that has a very lethal secret and an organization on a mission to save the planet from over-population by using biological means to "thin the herd". Mystery, science, intrigue, and a bit of romance...it is all there. This would make an outstanding movie.  One hell of a ride!
A must read.

And a overly simple recipe for an incredible breakfast croissant to enjoy with YOUR  morning cup.

Warm Sicilian Nutella and Mascarpone Croissants

Which are exactly what the name implies. A flaky croissant split and filled with
Nutella and Mascarpone Cheese (sweetened or not) then warmed. Can  be sprinkled with confectioner's sugar if you choose unsweetened cheese.

Serve warm with espresso.

Mangia!



And always remember...

Life isn't about how you handle Plan A...Life is mostly about how you deal with (and execute) Plan B.

Have a great weekend!