Monday, April 14, 2014

Transition to a "Virtual" Gypsy




Those who know me, know that this Spring I was thrown yet another curve-ball. My medical condition has severely compromised my ability to travel. For someone who has travelled extensively for 50 years...this realization has been almost inconceivable.  However, I am nothing if not flexible. 
Adaptable.

In past years Idgy and I have embarked on many virtual journeys together (in addition to our REAL ones) sharing them the way you would any trip. Sampling chocolates and wine from all over the globe. A way to share together over the miles between real visits.

So here is the deal.

I may never set foot on the rocky shoreline of Maine.


I may never travel the carriage roads of Acadia or photograph the stone bridges.



Or hear the surf crash against the rocks at the often-photographed lighthouse in Portland. Or Thunderhole. Or any of the other rocky coastal sites.



Maine was my "unicorn".

That Elusive State. The only one in the 48 contingent that I had never explored. 

Until yesterday. 

 Thanks to Jack Perkins and his amazing videography:  Air Maine- I was treated to sights and sounds throughout the State that were breathtaking. I could have spent a month in the State and still not seen what I saw in his low flyover. As well as learning a great deal about Maine itself. Today I enjoyed another of his offerings A Tribute to Acadia. I was able to hear the crashes of Thunderhole. Got to "travel" the Ocean Loop (through the wind-shield view)...the rocky shoreline...and see the sights...and imagine the pine filled air of the massive forests.

Somehow, I envision a great deal of Maine smelling a lot like Christmas.

I used print screen to pick out the sights during the video tour I would otherwise have photographed along the way.

Tougher than it seems...you have to be shutter-quick.

 I have talked to friends (Karl and Val...Chuck Sears) who actually live there and ask that they flat-rate ship me one of the rounded (smaller) coastal rocks...so like the other 47 States I will have a little bit of Maine as well.

Collecting the World One Rock at a Time!

The weather seemed to even add to the ambiance, today...chilly...grey...damp with a fine mist in the air. Tried clam "chowdah" for the first time...along with crusty French bread...and a slice of wild blueberry loaf and butter for dessert.
Somewhat un-Maine-like as I realized I really do not care for the clam chowder...somewhat akin to thick rich cream-filled potato soup...spoiled by the addition of the wild sea flavour of clams. The French bread for "sopping" improving it, somewhat. Tucker-Cat on the other hand was absolutely wild about clam chowder...who knew?  Planning to tuck into a Maine "lobstah" before the end of the week. I KNOW those are amazing.
And maybe some PEI Mussels and Scallops as well.

The Wild Blueberry Loaf was "wicked good"...as the locals would say. "Ayuh!". And I've included the recipe here.  I've also ordered Wyman's Chocolate Covered Blueberries and a small tin of wild blueberry jam straight from the State!

And perusing a Portland gift shop for either a tee-shirt or a mug or the Blueberry Soap for my Spa Bath...much as I would have done in real time.



So there it is, then.

Going to take an hour or so each day this week to explore Maine!

Recipe:
Maine Wild Blueberry Loaf

 Combine

1 1/2 cup flour

3/4 cup sugar

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup melted butter

1 large egg

1/3 cup heavy cream

1 teaspoon real vanilla extract (or scrape one pod whole bean)

1 tin (about a cup) wild Maine Blueberries (do not drain)

Mix all together in one bowl. Do not fear. By not draining the blueberries the juice will make the batter turn quite greyish. Pay it no mind. The flavour in the end will more than make up for it. Pour into loaf pan and top liberally with course grain sanding sugar. Bake at 350 degrees until top is rounded and brown. 

Best served warm with whipped butter!


I am going to turn this New Challenge into a positive.


And I also plan to paint this screen-capture (in acrylic) this summer!