Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Poets...Watercolours...New Habits and Downpours



From Basking to Bobbing in a couple of days!

Can't complain. The plants are looking amazing. And the weekend left me with a bit of colour post-bask, anyway.
Red is a colour, right?

Cultivating a wonderful new habit.

Every morning I take my Morning Cup onto the terrace and sit quietly in the dark pre-dawn until the sun rises. An enhancement to my Morning Meditation.







Every evening I take a glass of wine or a cup of herbal tea outside to enjoy and sit quietly for my Evening Meditation as the sun sets. 



It is incredibly centering and relaxing. Sometimes I capture the peach of the morning sky or the watercolour brushed look of the setting sun...often I am accompanied by Tucker-Cat for a bit of kitty-therapy, as well. In the mornings I listen to the world wake up with an assortment of bird calls and a few "human noises", too.

In the evenings I listen to the peepers and booming bullfrogs...assorted "kitties in love"...the rumble past of a muscle car...and the occasional owl. Later this month the fireflies will join in the evening show.
Of all my "habits" I am enjoying this one the best!

Only



more days until our Summer Adventure, Idgy!
 Can't wait!

And both of us adding more to our "...stuff we want to do together..." list every morning with coffee and chat! No beach-side adventures. This year is all about picnics and photography treks and painting and relaxation.

"il dolce far niente"

Watching the sunrises and sunsets. Sampling the chocolates and wines. Capturing everything with a camera or a paintbrush. Or both. A private fireworks show since the 4th will be a few days gone. Real hugs and coffee and chat. Cooking together. Plundering Menard's or checking out the newest French Restaurant.
 Maybe an addition to our matching tattoos.

It is always an amazing adventure! 

My latest adventure in colour inspired by a new book picked up at my local library




Where I discovered aquarelle, which is basically coloured pencils designed to be water soluble and give a nice misty watercolour effect. Basked on Sunday and sketched botanicals. Very enjoyable...although I must admit that acrylics are  preferable.

Still, it was something new and fun to explore. 






This week's read...a new historical fiction piece by David Park: The Poet's Wives
Two of the three story novel built around the poets William Blake and Nadezhda Mandelstam...the third a composite that exists only in the author's imagination but built around a well known painting:

Our Daily Bread












Well written and researched (in the cases of Blake and Mandelstam) Engaging and quickly paced. Told from the perspective of the poet's wives. Blake's brilliant madness. Mandelstam's incarceration and death. I found the third story intriguing as it was built solely from Park's vivid imagination completely from an image. Creating a story of a pious but difficult poet/husband upon his demise and reflections by his wife and two estranged daughters.
Excellent tale.



Well worth a look.