Friday, June 27, 2014

Indiana: Finally Dragged Into the 21st Century









What an amazing week!

As a partner who fought beside me in the trenches for years in the battle of SSM...I say today (with more than a trace of sadness) I wish Bill could have lived to witness this moment!  We fought for gay rights together long before it became trendy.

June 25th, Federal Judge Richard L. Young found the Indiana Gay Marriage Ban
Unconstitutional by Reason of the 14th Amendment...well duh...

That day several hundred same sex couples tied the knot in Indianapolis. Some of them who had been in long term monogamous relationships with their partners for over 15-20 years...never imagining they would see this day.

And of course...because it is Indiana there has been a motion for a Stay filed already...because, although our Conservatives are gung-ho on their 2nd Amendment Rights, they never really pay a lot of attention to the others.  

Never fear. There will be NO reversal. And why they spend our tax dollars to keep continuously fighting this losing battle...even the gay ones (tax dollars) is an outrage.

And thusfar...despite the weeping and gnashing of teeth I haven't seen any evidence that Jill and Jayne's (or Adam and Steve's) new marriage affects anybody's straight marriage one iota.

So here is my advice for any Indiana Heterosexual who is married and happens to have a problem with this ruling...

"Try expending as much energy maintaining your own damn marriage as you do trying to impose your restrictions/assert your control over other people's marriages...and it might not end in DIVORCE."





Moving along...

Spent a wonderful afternoon with my oldest and (now middle) grandson...and even managed to acquire another "honorary" grand-daughter...lol  It is okay...when the boys were growing up I was called Mom by half the neighborhood...in fact some of the kids still walk up to me in the store...give me a big hug and say "MOM!"  :)


                                                
                                                          Brenden






                   The Amazing Preston (who just turned 12 and is basketball tall now)


                                                   Both the Guys!


And the honorary?   Emily :)





How can you look at that SMILE and not be her "Grandma Rose", too?

On thing I have learned through my life. Children can't have too many people in their lives that love them. Blood relation or not


So here it is...almost the end of June. Middle of the year.  How can THAT be right?

And (as I always do) taking a look back at those New Year's Goals.

1. Continue to Practice Zen Living.

 With the exception of a couple bumps along the way...and that is why it will always be practicing I guess...

2. To Be Pro-Active Financially.

I have my bills paid for July already. Go me!!!!

3. To Continue the Fast Diet (and Maintain)

Reached my Target weight in February and have been doing the 6-1 maintenance ever since!  Very happy about this!

4. To Attend the Following This Year: A Writer's Retreat, A Zen Retreat and A Photography Retreat.

Not yet. Got to focus.

5. To Observe a Day of Silence each Week.

This has been very hit and miss...however I did cultivate the habit of sitting in Morning and Evening Meditation and watching the sun rise and set each day...which is very centering.  Silence?  Maybe I need Duct Tape?

6. To Spend more time with Friends and Family this year.

Absolutely!
 Done and Done and Continuing :)

As I said at the beginning
2014 is going to be My Year!

                     Have an Outstanding Weekend!