Friday, January 23, 2015

How About Those Apples...The Louve...Random Selfies and More



What to do with leftover apples?

Back to experimenting with the World of Micro-Batch Wine. This particular jar has apples and a touch of real maple syrup and cinnamon. It will ferment fairly quickly given the batch size and the warmth in the house. It has been started for most of a week and already smells wonderful!

Should be ready to clarify by the end of next week.

Most of these micro-batches only produce 1-4 (four oz glasses) of wine. Or it may become apple shine. Too early to tell.
                                              ~laughing~

Perfect for just a taste.  

So my Virtual Parisian Adventure has taken me to The Louvre. Where they have an amazing online room by room tour available.

http://www.louvre.fr/en/visites-en-ligne

as well as the online gift shop below the glass pyramid...where you can order anything you would buy if you were standing in front of a counter (real time).

http://www.boutiquesdemusees.fr/en/boutique/museum/musee-du-louvre/

The museum is huge, and will require part of the rest of the weekend to explore. And, I know I'll be ending up with a Mona Lisa coffee mug...because seriously...as much as I love Paris and Coffee. What are the odds of slipping away from the City of Love without both.

Found a bit of art this week that (surprisingly) I really liked from...no...not one of the Masters (or even in The Louvre for that matter) but a Thomas Kinkaide that I had never seen before. And before you groan...because face it...he became as over-produced as Velvet Elvis...check it out.


The image is called "Bloomsbury CafĂ©" done Plein Air. It is on canvas and the one I am looking at has been hand-highlighted. I think it will make a great addition to my little living space! 


Started a new canvas myself this weekend. My first attempt at a monochromatic (sepia browns) scene. Inspired by The Eiffel Tower and adding multi-medium items, some French and, like my Michigan Dunes painting, a couple of entwined "ghost balloons" floating away.

Will post a picture as soon as it begins to take shape. 

This will also be my first real attempt at using the palette knives on canvas. Although I have been practicing. I love what they can do.

Since selfies seem to be everywhere...it should come as no shock that people have tapped into yet another realm of self-photography. Museum selfies. Some have the iphone photoshopped into the picture...and some reach levels of near brilliance like the following:


I laughed out loud.

No book review...but I did catch an exceptional motion picture.


 Wild with Reese Witherspoon.

 A true story of a woman's solo 1,100 mile hike on the Pacific Crest Trail. A hike which not only exorcised some of her personal demons but helped her come to terms with her mother's death and her father's childhood abuse as well. Powerful film. Reese gave a wonderfully convincing performance. It will make you laugh when she is trying to first stand up with her overloaded hiking pack. It will make you cry...when she finally convinces her brother to come to the hospital to see their dying mother. On a scale of 10...a solid 9. Beautiful Cinematography, as well!  Want to read the Memoir.

So...it's back to the easel...

Have an Amazing Weekend!