Saturday, December 5, 2015

San Benardino...Beginning to look a lot Like Christmas...Idgy's 40th Birthday...Mini Muffins and Decorating



Another mass shooting. This time in San Bernardino.

I don't know which is worse. The fact that it happens at all...or that it has happens so frequently now we preface "mass shooting" with the word Today's or Another.





Face it America.  We have a problem. 

And it is much larger and more complex than the factions we try to blame...guns, religion, refugees, skin color, education and literacy, geographical location, or party lines.

No. We have met the enemy...and to quote Pogo  "He is US"

As horrific as the San Bernardino shootings were...I have a strong feeling that a moment's rage at a Christmas Party probably averted a much larger act of terrorism elsewhere. I think the intended target was something much larger given the details coming in after the fact. Hard drives missing and cell phones destroyed. Pipe-bombs and full Kevlar gear. Massive weapons build-up. It is hard for me to believe that this was all to attack an Adult Developmental Disability Center. It is only an hour to Los Angeles. Only 6 hours up the coastline to San Francisco. The Golden Gate Bridge. The Bay Bridge. Only an hour and a half to San Diego and the Home-Port of the Pacific Fleet and Naval Base.

What I do know, is that the build-up of hate-filled rhetoric (globally) and ignorance, paranoia and intolerance combine to build up a powder-keg situation. Easy to set off with the slightest spark. Add to that ISIS, the wide-spread availability of weapons, and Fundamentalism...and it is all a disaster waiting to happen.

No easy answers, this. But one thing I am sure of...we have to do more than platitudes.  "I'll PRAY for you, them..." may give everyone a warm fuzzy feeling but it doesn't seem to be accomplishing an awful lot.

I know to start changing this, we all all going to have to take a step backwards and breath. Replace our daily hate and anger with love and kindness and caring. Everyone. Not walk around looking for things to be angry or offended by. And not walking around spewing hatred and inciting violence either. Stop believing that this way is the only way. That one religion is the only religion. Know that although we can't change the world personally...we can change ourselves and our perceptions. It sounds impossible...and maybe globally is is.

But it is the way I am choosing to live my life.

Anyway...

Found some very realistic fir candles and home is smelling a lot like a Christmas tree lot, now.  And added a touch of deep Burgundy to the decorating, finishing the tree.



Wrapping a bit today and finishing the Cards to post on Monday. And the Christmas List. Forget Naughty and Nice...I'm just trying to juggle all these grandkids!

And saw some amazing Ugly Christmas Sweater Ideas...







Still working on it!


So, Idgy turned 40 proper on the 2nd...and although we had already celebrated in Summer with our Combined Cake





We celebrated quietly over muffins and coffee in cyber-space.





And it was a very nice morning!

Plotting and planning next year's combined birthdays which we will celebrate together in the Fall.





Our "Liquor and Fire Celebration"

How could THAT possibly go wrong?

 ~laughing~

Already planning to "play with the pastry bag" a bit and make Red Velvet Mini Muffins with Cream Cheese Icing together!

The pastry bag...

I'm LOVING it.

I want to make devilled eggs just so I can pipe the filling in!  I seriously don't know how I have missed out on one of these for over 50 years!


My latest endeavor. 

I love the large star tip that when used sideways creates a cats-paw shell look! Even found a tutorial from Martha Stewart that is really really helpful on what can be achieved from the various tips. I currently have 6 tips. I am practicing on wax paper a lot to reduce waste (reuse the frosting to practice) and to keep from gaining, like, 300 pounds from all the treats I would, otherwise, be baking to try this.

I am having a coffee brunch with a former co-worker/nurse friend Tina later in the week and am going to decorate muffins to accompany it.

Have a Wonderful and Relaxing Weekend.