Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Hibernation...and Preparing for 2016 Virtual "Year in the World"




So...the last Brunch is cleared away...friends bundled, hugged and gone...and CHRISTMAS is (officially) over at last.

Can you hear my sigh of relief from there?

Reaching that "How the hell can I MISS you, if you don't go away" completely peopled out stage.

I think I am hibernating until January...lol!

Seriously though, our brunch was wonderful. We always have the best time! Although Ola didn't make it, the rest of us ate, drank and made merry...as well as discussing our plans for the New Year  (both individually and as a group...er "small gang")

I think we have all gained 10 pounds since November. 

Judy:  I'm cutting out carbs and fats.

Loretta:  I am cutting back on my sugar consumption and going to exercise more.

Sharon and I:  We're going to add more fresh fruits and vegetables and get back to the 5:2 for a few weeks. 

True Story

Followed pretty closely by plans to Brunch Together Monthly beginning with a Mexican Restaurant Trek mid-January. And our Monthly Mall Ratting, of course. January involves Terre Haute and Cinnabons with Morning Coffee.

I'm not sure where that fits concerning our dietary/fitness goals...but I am ALL IN.

Which brings me to

The 2016 Virtual "Year in The World" Trip

I thoroughly enjoyed the Virtual Year in France Adventure. Was able to see, experience and learn so much over the last 365 days "in France". So much much more than the typical two-week real-time hit the high points holiday abroad. It was incredible.

Throughout the years, a huge part of travel...real then...now virtual...has always been the few days prep before the actual departure.  I am finding that just like with real-time travel there is a great deal of prep involved in virtual, as well.

Next Year's Adventure is going to be based on a book I have read many times and enjoyed so much.

The Book:

Frances Mayes (author of Under the Tuscan Sun) non-fiction

A Year in The World

ISBN # 0-7679-1005-2

(...in case you want to come along, or just want to discover a really great read...)

Beginning January with a Month in Spain. 

Discovering the writings of Lorca and Cela (Tha-lah)...and learning about their lives and deaths. Untangling the rich history that is Spain. Touring the vast Art Museums, Eating Blood Oranges and  learning to make Tapas and Churros. Trying Iberico and Serraro (Imported obviously). Experiencing the sights and sounds of Flamenco and Bullfighting. Hearing the Adhan by the Muezzin. Exploring the Mosques and Churches. Learning about the Various Saints. Seeing the magnificent horses in Andalusia.

Went through my copy with a highlighter this afternoon. Highlighting the things I wanted to research. Learn to make or do. Find on YouTube or in some instances on eBay/Amazon or in gourmet food outlets. Books to read, for accompaniment. Biographies to look up.  Beginning with Lorca's. Maps to read. Google Images to Accompany.

Yes...just a different kind of vacation prep...but prep, nonetheless, and surprisingly just as satisfying as real-time travel prep for me.

Venga conmigo...





January 1st...we depart for Madrid!