Sunday, March 13, 2016

A Weekend's Zen and more of my Novel: The Plan



In case you've ever wondered what it is All About...the answer is BALANCE.


Took Saturday to fast and clean...the house...the cupboards...the floors...the fridge...the laundry and eventually- submersed to the chin in bubbles in a relaxing bath by candlelight with tea...me.

Slept like a baby.

(...sheep count me...)

No alarms this morning...just songbirds and daylight. Broke fast with my workout...then a hearty country plate of fried red potatoes, bacon, toast & jam, and fresh orange juice.

Worked for a while on my manuscript...finishing The General's interview. The General, waiting patiently through all the politics of last week.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


[ He is exactly what you would expect someone who has gone by "The General" all their life to look like. Almost a character, as if he has modelled himself after how an Ex-Army Vet should look. His 6'5" frame carried with a military bearing. His iron grey hair still cut in a high and tight  brush flat top. You half expect him to  be in uniform. Today he is wearing blue jeans and an open collar white casual shirt and Nikes. On him, the entire ensemble still somehow looks dressed and pressed. Even though he is a decade older than myself, he is in top form. Not an ounce of fat anywhere, and he must be carrying close to 250 pounds. He has an easy genuine smile. His presence seems to fill the entire room. I motion him in, and thank him for coming for the interview.]

"I appreciate all you are doing for Mark" He begins.

"General Robert L. Davis Army Retired...but everybody calls me The General"

"Yes. He was my son-in-law for 10 years. Now he is just my son."

[ I, unwisely, ask him about his daughter's divorce. The man is genuinely furious.]

"Turned into a useless tramp, just like her Mama. She ruined that girl. Filled her head with everything except how to be a good wife or mother. Six girls and at least three of them weren't mine. Oh I supported them all the same, and tried to be there for them after I left. It wasn't their fault. There is only so much a man should have to put up with, you know?"

"I liked Mark from the minute Tray dragged him home. He wasn't mouthy or cocky like some kids. His old man was a preacher. Had time for God and about half the damned county, but didn't have five minutes to spare for his own son."

"Sometimes I blame myself for the way Mark has ended up. I think he re-upped over and over for my approval as much as anyone else. And damn it I AM proud of him. I want to see him continue the Shel Program. I want to see him get his damned life back. The Government owes him that much."

"Yes, I blame Tray for his quitting the program. Hell yes, I do. He loved her and the kids. She bailed out on him just when he needed her the most. Moved his buddy in and won't let him see his kids. Do you know she threatened to not let me see them any more either, if I even mentioned Mark around them. Hell of a way to treat a grandparent. Hell of a way to treat their father."

"I don't have much to do with her now. After she remarried. She knows how I feel. She drops the kids off sometimes. More for her convenience than to let me see them, but sometimes you just have to keep your mouth shut, you know." (he runs his hand nervously over his brush cut hair)

[ I instinctively like "The General". He is a straight-shooter, and think that he may have quite a bit of input with Mark. He may be our best shot at getting Mark to resume the program. I explain that Tracy and Jerry do not ever come to the VA to see him, and follow up with the request that Mark has made to see or have photographs of his children.]

"Hell, Sure. I can make that happen."

[ He seems thrilled to be able to do anything to help so I press a bit further]

"Sure, I'll try and talk to him about The Program. Nothing would make me happier than to see him pull it back together again. I have to be careful about mentioning Tray though. Everything she has put him through and he still loves that little bitch. I don't even pretend to know why."


[ As he leaves my office I feel that we have made some real progress today, and it is nice to see someone in Mark's corner for a change. Serendipity, as the phone rings and I see it is Mr. Cole, Mark's father, returning my earlier call.  When I answer he apologizes for he and his wife, but says they have discussed it and don't think it is in Mark's best interest or theirs, for them to get involved. Besides they are very busy with the Church right now. They refuse to come in for interviewing. Sadly, it is not a surprise. ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



 So...this week we will start with another interview with Jerry. 

Nicole has been training me in The Tao of Crock-Pot Cookery and today fixed a Pork Roast with Root Vegetables. Not only does it not heat up the entire kitchen, important for the summer months to come, but it makes the house smell wonderful. Started it this morning at a slow simmer after searing the outside of the meat and seasoning...by 5 PM it was falling off the bone and the vegetables were fork tender.

We're both so excited about sharing a large kitchen garden this year...and canning and freezing and drying the veggies and herbs before winter.  She truly is The Daughter I never had...and always wanted.

Tis' the Season and Brenden has started Baseball. Preston was over during his very first practice...then spent the weekend with James and Nicole, and practiced with him some more.  I can't wait for his first game!  Nicki video-taped him learning to run the bases. I loved the little "happy hop" he gave when he finally made it to third.

So beautiful today. Sat out and just enjoyed the warmth and sunshine for quite a while. Left the patio doors open to air the house from being closed up all winter.

Nice to hear the birds, and later the Spring Peeper who have dug themselves out of the mud at the pond already. Surveyed the patio, baskets and bulbs and sat my Juniper Bonsai (re-potted earlier on) outside to enjoy the morning mist. This will be its 7th year and it is cascading nicely now.  Going to trim the ficus bonsai and pot the trimmings to braid as they get bigger.

Can't wait for primroses and pansies to start showing up in the garden shops.

Peeked in on my compost...and will soon use the rest of last year's soil...and start layering the box once again with the dead-fall from winter.



Chris gave me a laugh when he sent me this photo of the first found dandelion, while on the road, (of the year..by him) an old game I used to play with all three boys when they were little. Beneath the picture was simply the words

"I Win"

His carriage soon to resume pumpkin status as his vacation winds to an end tomorrow...and he is on his way back...but he says it has been Outstanding!

Lennon's bio-mom now down from Massachusetts to Tampa for a visit...and he is enjoying a bit of a break from work...a lighter schedule this week.

James has already been out on the ponds and has caught a couple decent sized catfish...so they are back to biting...and Nicole is back to breading and frying fish. They are a good team. Both Brenden and Aiden are sporting their new Spring Do's (as in hair)

 
And Brenden's Birthday Party already being planned in Army Camouflage and Nerf Gun (with a bucket of darts for everyone).  Special OPS.

So back to Virtual Portugal tomorrow for me, to continue with the Chauncer...Learn a bit about Lusitania and Make and Share the recipe for "Sonhos"  The Choux Pastry Balls dusted with Powdered Sugar known simply as  "Dreams"

More anon...

Namste.



                                 Emma looking just like her Mother at nearly 10