Monday, March 7, 2016

Confessions of a Political Junkie...Light Painting (New Post-Production Photography Technique) and Pasteis de Belem & Recipe






Yeah...this morning looked a LOT like this.

It was Midnight last night,  the debate over and finally eating a sandwich, that I turned in after the adrenaline rush of the weekend.
Nebraska and Kansas and Maine, oh my!

I think Feeling The Bern could actually kill me!

But like all Good Junkies, this morning I was right back to


True Story.

And you would think it would be difficult since most of the MSM was absolutely silent as the grave about Bernie's 3 Wins over Saturday and Sunday. As if ignoring it or not reporting it somehow means it never happened. And you know if Hillary had won 3 of the 4 states over the weekend they would have been masturbating over it like zoo monkeys on a first-grade field trip...just saying. But no.  Ferreting out alternative news sources (Direct from local sources in Maine...or the BBC...TYT Network or Democracy Now) just adds to the excitement for a Real News Junkie.

Sure. On the surface I grouse about it, coffee cup in hand, but secretly I am delighted to find several new "connections". 
Pushers.

 (also true)

A Town Hall Meeting tonight!

You know how tweakers don't eat or sleep? 

Ditto- News/Political Junkies during an Election Year.

As Donnie Brasco would say

"Fuggedaboutit"

It is hard to say what spawns a Carville or Durst, really.

All I know is that the twig is bent fairly early on. Nature or Nurture? I don't know. No one I grew up around was very politically active or astute. Yet I remember pouring over the Sunday Edition at a very young age...sipping milk and eating Cinnamon Twists or Corn Stix.

And not just the comic section.

My first real taste of Political Activism had to be with a hot-blooded/hard headed Sicilian lover at 19. I was hooked. At the time, both on the Sicilian and Activism in general. 
Okay, mostly the Sicilian...lol! 
But still...

We read Emerson, Marx, Proust, Pirsig, Gibran and Ehrmann.

We wrote long rambling letters of dissension to the local papers/publications tapping them out on a gigantic old black Royal typewriter.

We had long rambling philosophical discussions...smoked a joint or two...had some wine, and solved the World's problems.

Well temporarily, anyway.

And the rest, is history...been an activist ever since. 

I realized I was a true News Junkie one year during a solo trip to New Orleans when I found myself one early morning sipping chicory coffee and having beignets reading The Times-Picayune like a local...and enjoying it...then doing it every day afterwards, until I left.

By the end of the week I knew more about what was happening in the town, including their politicians, than some of the locals. 

I remember when CNN was still The News. Real Journalism, not this bought and paid for spin machine, you see today. And when they introduced The Crawler...so you could read even more news while you were listening to your news, it was a News Speed-Ball.

Good Times.

During my marriage to my (late) husband who was also a Political Junkie...politics was foreplay...and after play...and sometimes even the main course.

"Say it one more time"

"Goldsmith lost the election."

(mutual orgasm)

Go figure....

~laughing~


He would have absolutely loved this year's Primary race!

So yeah, I am pretty much going to be like this until after the General Election.  

Deal with it.


Last night's debate in Flint was good. Bernie dominated the first half. Hillary did better during the latter.  And yes...he really did say

"Excuse Me, I'm Talking Here..."

But only after she had rudely interrupted him for the umteenth time. 

And today her entire twist on it is





Or...well...maybe NOT.   

I seriously hope that he continues not putting up with her bullshit, and calling her on her lies, by stating the truth. I seriously think by 2017 we will be calling him President Sanders. 

Saw a new-to-me form of Photographic Art the other day that I am going to learn.  It is a form of light painting using blur with photography.

 (Example)









This is an actual photograph that has been light painted in post-production to look like an oil painting. I absolutely LOVE it and am going to learn the technique this year.

I finished off Lisbon in Belem...home of the famous Pasteis de Belem. A puff pastry and egg cream sweet treat that was invented in the Jeronimos Monastery
to use up all the egg yolks left behind. The monks used the whites for starching clothing. A sugar cane factory was attached to the monastery already so it seemed the perfect endeavour The monks sold the Pasteis de Belem to visitors who came to see the Monastery or the Torres de Belem which was part of the original town left standing after the Great Earthquake of 1755.  Today across from the Monastery is now a large shop/restaurant also called Pasteis de Belem (after the signature pastry)






And here is my finished creation of the Portuguese Dessert




Smells amazing and tastes even better. I could have eaten the entire lot but stopped at two.

Here is the recipe if you want to try them yourself.
Makes 1 dozen.

Pasteis de Belem

I used Pepperidge Farm puff pastry sheets. Cut into 12 squares.

(yes...you can make your own puff pastry...I am sure they do.  I buy mine pre-made) because face it




Press the puff pastry into custard cups or muffin tins...make a rim with the edge of the pastry.


Filling


1 cup whole milk or half and half

1 cup condensed sweetened milk.

5 egg yolks.

2 whole eggs.

Lemon Zest or Whole Vanilla Bean scraped (use seeds only)



Bring milk and condensed sweetened milk to a scald in saucepan. 

In mixing bowl beat egg yolks and whole eggs lightly.

Then add to hot scalded milk in a thin stream beating  "fiercely" (and I loved that description- taken directly from the original text source found for the recipe) to prevent curdling. Then thicken mixture over low heat stirring constantly. Add lemon zest or scraped vanilla bean seeds. 

When mixture is pudding thick spoon by tablespoon into puff pastry cups. Take care not to get mixture on the rim of the puff pastry or it will not expand.

Place in very hot oven 400 degrees for 10 or so minutes. You only want the pastry to puff and the top to lightly begin to brown. The egg mixture is already cooked.

Let cool slightly and serve while warm. 

Dust with powdered sugar (Belem Style) before serving.


So good with Coffee!

Enjoy!

Besides, you have earned them...reading through my entire political/news ramblings! 

 More
Anon....