Thursday, July 29, 2021

KB is 16...Sisters Day Cookies...Family...Chris Starts his Career and Our Terre Haute Adventure!

 

If it feels like it has been forever since I've blogged...it is probably because it has been.

Just inundated with people...and ran off for a mini-trip the 3rd week of July. 

You know...life.

On the 11th...my KB (...shown above with sister Natalyn...) turned 16!!!!  Can a car and driver's license be far behind??

A couple of Saturdays back, Tina and Lisa and I had our Sisters Day with Quiche and Salad and Strawberry Cream Muffins and a homemade cookie exchange. Tina made French Macaroons with Nutella filling. I made Peanut Butter topped with mini Reeses Cups, and Lisa made her famous Pecan Wedding Cookies.


 Morning coffee was made better for days!

Tina now has The Chicken Cam


 and was surprised to already get one colored egg from the Easter Egg chicks.



Also finally met (...and in one case re-met..) extended family I never knew.

My Great-Uncle Joe and family.

He met me before I was adopted. I was about 2 at the time. He is my (late) maternal grandmother's brother.

I was also able to meet Marsha (would be my 2nd cousin) and her daughter...my 3rd.

It was a great and we are going to try and get a reunion of everyone in Fall.

Don and Chris and I had our Summer Visit recently...with Almost Home Chicken Salad and such...caught up on life...and gardens...and grands...and politics, of course...but the very best was yet to come...

Chris had his second interview with the technology department at ISU and was anxiously awaiting The Call.

Imagine our delight at being present when they phoned and offered him the position!

He was absolutely doing The Happy Dance.

So were we. 

Now he is a University Man...lol...if he gets his own office straight-away there will be no living with him, you know.

Last week John and I spent a couple days in Terre Haute.

(...great shirt and tie...you're never getting that shirt back...)

One of our destinations was 


 

 Logan's Steakhouse...which has literally been there since John not only attended the University...but also when he taught there for his Master Degree.

We tried everything...from Filet Mignon and Ribeye...to BBQ Ribs. Salads and fresh baked brown bread...loaded baked potatoes...breaded mushrooms and onion petals...coffee and a three layer homemade chocolate cake.

We had food for days, leftover.

It was incredible.

When we left it was a lot like this...

"...can't move...digesting..."

Swung by Honeycreek Mall the next day...but it is pretty much abandoned. Only JC Penny's left as an anchor store.

Made the beautiful drive down by Demming's Park.

And found a new addition we were pleasantly surprised with....an Ollies!

Making our plans for Loretta's 80th Birthday next month and to spend a few days out there to relax and poke around...takes her to dinner and some shopping.

She is excited.

"Damn it, Dad...you are leaving me again???"

                                                                  Gadget


 


"I'm still trying to figure out how the hell he gets back in the phone..."

                                                                                                           Sofi

And soooooo happy my guy brought me a couple huge green tomatoes...to slice and fry.

So good!

The Summer Patio nearly spent and I've learned never ever to put out White Cloud Petunias again...replaced immediately with the pink shown. After torrential rain fall the white ones looked like so many wadded discarded tissues.

My hummingbirds prefer these, anyway! 

Another month, and it will all be replaced with mums, sunflowers and fat orange pumpkins!

My roses are nearly ready to burst forth again.

No new book this week but did managed to check out an old new-to-me film.


 A 1994 release with an All-Star cast...Tommy Lee Jones...Jeff Bridges...Cuba Gooding...Forrest Whitaker...Lloyd Bridges...and more.

Jones plays an Irish IRA bomber fixated on Bridges character ( ...once involved with a bombing gone bad...leaving Jones in prison...)who had migrated to Boston and joined its bomb squad.

The plot is brilliant....the acting exceptional...the very best part of it for me???

I had never heard Tommy Lee Jones do anything other that a weathered Texan accent.

The man did an amazing Northern Irish accent!

Watch it...you'll be glad you did.

More Anon...

 


Workout stuff after all that food...