Tuesday, October 21, 2014

And then we all BREATHED out...



Frankly...I am happily amazed.

Today the last of the 48 Ebola contacts from Dallas were released from quarantine...all asymptomatic. Even Duncan's girlfriend and the three other people who had lived four days in close quarters with the man after he became symptomatic...which seems like a minor miracle, to me.

And despite the botched way this was handled throughout and the two infected primary care nurses...we appear to have dodged a rather large bullet...and hopefully our hospitals and CDC will be more vigilant in any future Ebola case.

Whereas, I still intend to maintain my personal no cough/sneeze bubble and carry hand gel...as it will prove helpful in reducing colds/flus and bacterial  infections...I must admit a certain relax in concern re: Ebola when no one at the apartment ended up with it. I would have placed cash on his girlfriend being infected.

Finished my seed gathering today...bringing in the pink and fuchsia petunias that have dried and went to seed. Breaking open the papery brittle seed casings for literally thousand of ground-pepper-fine petunia seeds collected in paper towel and slipped into envelops to save and share next season.

And, about next season. 

Researching a new growing project for next year.  Along with the previously spored morels I am going to foray into Shittakes, Lion's Mane, Oyster, and Reishi...as well as a beginning Button/Portabella kit (which I will try over winter- inside)  From the simplest Oyster, which can actually be substrated on a roll of white fragrance free toilet paper, to the delicious morel which must be babied along in oak shavings...I am excited to learn and try growing several gourmet varieties.

                                                       Shittake Log

                                                    Lion's Mane

                                                             Oyster


                                                            Reishi

I am particularly interested in Reishi, which has been cultivated and used medicinally in China for centuries, and has proven immune enhancing abilities.



This week's book The Fault in Our Stars by Indianapolis writer John Green. The novel on which the movie is based. Both truly outstanding pieces of work. Besides the obvious cancer connection...and the irreverent thought process he captured so well...I think what I also enjoyed was the setting. The novel was set in Indiana. Specifically, the Eastside of Indianapolis...with which, I am intimately familiar. When the star-crossed lovers are in the gardens at the back of IMA...I have been there many times. When Hazel Grace is rushing down 96th to Ditch Road to help Augustus I can envision the area because I, too, drove these streets in the past. When she is describing The Faux Ruins at Holiday Park I have picnicked there also, years ago. Well written. Fast paced. Nice moral and tying up of loose ends. Even the loathsome, alcoholic, burned out...incredibly rude...author, finds redemption near the end.

 All in all, a book well worth the reading.