Friday, August 23, 2019

Virtual AT: NY State Line to Fingerboards Shelter

"Beans, here...Rocking the ( virtual) New York State Line!"

Six states to go!  

828 miles give or take!

90 miles of the AT run through New York...although it skirts the city proper by about 30 miles, it still manages to route through a pretty populated area.

Urban hiking?

Never really give it much thought.

Anyway...here we go.


A mile in we see Prospect Rock...our first NY landmark.

and hiker, "Patriot", took the opportunity to pose with the American Flag atop it; which was a neat touch.

To the top of Prospect Rock!

Climbing to Prospect Rock 

https://youtu.be/ntyk9khqwdY

Down Village Vista Trail


to the Eastern Pinnacles





and Cat Rocks



The Cat Rocks Bypass...lol!

Cat Rocks.

And first person view of hiking this section. (A must see)

Pinnacles and Cat Rocks to Wildcat Shelter

https://youtu.be/BQ-rKD8t01s

(...and a very high clench factor...even sitting here on a keyboard watching the screen...damn!)

To Wildcat Shelter


Which comes complete with a water source (stream) and a bear box!

I have to say I am impressed. I didn't know what to expect in NY on the trail...after already encountering graffiti in Pennsylvania and the numerous run down shelters of New Jersey.

I headed to an outfitters before entering the state and left a lot of my lighter stuff in a hikers box. I am now ready for the colder weather to come. After the Pinnacles and Cat Rocks...I am grateful for my new boots.

Ran across a couple of SOBO's who assured me I will need them...as well as the warmer stuff.. Their advice was to try to reach the Summit before October 15th...as afterwards can be dangerous or impossible because of the cold, snow and ice.

And so we press on...

To Fitzgerald Falls




Hear the Falls Yourself!

https://youtu.be/gjYD9men52Y

To Mobasha High Point




 And the View...


And so far all our views have been of tree tops...I must admit, I am looking forward to when we finally get a glimpse of NYC from an elevated position!

Onward to Buchanan Mountain

Where steps that resemble rebar have been affixed to help us with our climb!


 Buchanan Mountain

Past Little Dam Lake





And down to Agony Grind

Obviously aptly named.

Where Trail Angels have left offerings of fresh water to refill with near the top!


(Okay...New York...I take back all those preconceived notions I had about this section of the trail and your people...)

Crew Building the Stairs at Agony Grind.

https://youtu.be/68eTqo_g9RI

To Island Pond



And the Lemon Squeezer




and like the bypass at Cat Rocks...also a trail marking

(...making me laugh out loud...)

Hiking the Lemon Squeezer

https://youtu.be/A0ibNAGQg0o

Until we have reached tonight's destination

Fingerboards Shelter

https://youtu.be/te21pTrEjuc


Build in 1923 of stone and perched on a stone slab.

Someone has already started a fire in one of the two rock fireplaces!

Feel like home (for the night) to me.

See you down the trail!

Love,

"Beans"