Friday, May 2, 2014

Finally Friday!


Finished now...except the Binding



The weather is cooler today. Sipping a cup of French Vanilla coffee laced liberally with whipped cream and cinnamon...and a chunk of fresh Chocolate Chip Loaf still warm from the oven. And the entire house smells like a fresh baked Chocolate Chip Cookie :)

My Afternoon Cup.

Busy week. Company (and the new Grandson) both scheduled to appear next week! Needless to say, in addition to the day to day I've been busy getting everything in order here. 

And then there was the business of the soft backing material I chose to finish the quilt. When I bought it, the woman at the cutting table advised me

 "You might want to re-think your selection...this stuff feels great...but it is almost impossible to sew. Especially by hand."

Undaunted I just nodded and smiled and told her I needed a yard.

Many days later...and much muttering 'neath my breath...and a few really painful needle sticks later...

Well...this kid better love his woobie.
That's all I've got to say.

There was even a point when I nearly caved and went back for an alternative fabric choice. For although the cloth was literally softer than petting a baby lamb...it would have been easier to affix a live lamb (and probably more entertaining for the baby later) than finishing the back with THIS MATERIAL. And no...I don't recall the name of it...but I did manage to come up with a few on my own.

Added his name and my Grandma Rose note






Complete with a tiny embroidered rose...and finishing the binding on Saturday!

After that we're all just "waiting on the baby"!




Especially Nicki! Whose last word on the matter was

"Mom....I am so OVER this..."

~laughing~


 The new roses have buds everywhere and expect them to bloom profusely on the next sunny day. The bluebells came back which was a wonderful surprise.  Gardening tip: Wild Bluebell Roots need only to be cut into 1 inch pieces and scattered/re-planted and they will spread like crazy.  
Who knew?

And the apartment maintenance even brought black mulch in and re-mulched the border and corner for me.  
It looks beautiful!

Can't wait until they bring in the new gazebo! Of course the best part of that is the Apartment Complex is buying the thing :) I going to move Mom's irises out by it. What a wonderful place it will be to relax and read in the Summer shade! May even take the new French Easel and paint out there!

Received a box from Karl and Val who live in Maine this week with an assortment of beach stones and some sand dollar shells that Val had collected. Took an afternoon shooting them and realized that I had to replace my cover-shot for my third Mindful Life: Zen Living book. Although it is only an outline...a cover shot and a handful of photos  currently...I liked this shot much better than my original cover




And I love the beach-stones, Val!

Got my proof back on the second book...fixed several typos and one embarrassingly glaring error...and it is out for purchase in cyberspace now!

Amidst the chaos of the week...did take time to settle in each evening with this week's read. The book:  The Past is a Foreign Country by Gianrico Carofiglio.
The author, a former prosecutor (anti-mafia) in Italy who started writing detective novels during the midst of a self-proclaimed mid-life crisis.

A coming-of-age meets a sociopath story. A young pre-law student who becomes involved with Francesco, a charismatic stranger who is also a con-man...drug smuggler and worse.  Abandoning his studies. His girlfriend. His parents. Falling deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole until at last he finds himself at the very bottom wondering if there even is a way out.

Well written. Suspenseful. Engaging.
Carofiglio has a wonderful way of making you care about all of his characters...even the badly flawed Francesco.  

Definitely worth the read!



                                       That's What I'm Talking About!



 And proof that they are "out there" down South now (Bloomington) from Josh who guards the location of his patch- like the Beefeaters guard The Queen!

Have a Wonderful Weekend!