Friday, July 25, 2014

Friday's Cup...County Fairs and Vin Nouveau


Friday, and the end of a busy week.

The County Fair was on in my "Little Corner of the World". James and Nicole took Emma out for an evening. 8 years old and she had NEVER been to a County Fair before. EVER. She rode every ride...enjoyed seeing and petting all the animals...munched fair food...and just generally had a blast!  I took an afternoon solo and checked out the adult division (Photography and Art...Baking and Canning/Preserving...Flower Arranging and Herbs) as well as enjoying the Fair chow and doing a little photography, myself.  The Fair slipped up on me this year...definitely going to exhibit in several categories next summer!

 So...inspired by the "Grape Nut" I have officially started my first small batch of white wine.

A tiny corner of my kitchen now dubbed
 Gypsy Winery: Message in a Bottle Wines.



 I crushed white grapes for juice...added distilled water and sugar and the proper amount of yeast...covered my fermentation vat with thick cheesecloth and secured the entire thing with a re-purposed produce band.

By the end of the day I understood why the Greeks and Romans fermented their wines in clay vats. Nobody really wants to watch yeast do its thing.


And more worrisome (for me) was that since the whole grapes were used crushed and not just the juice...the first day the entire affair had a decidedly "Spring Green" tinge from the skins.

Joking, I said that if it were not to go away during the process I would have to name my début wine attempt

"The Green Green Grass of Home"

"Emerald City"

"We're not in Kansas"

or something similar.


But the yeast beasties quickly began working their magic, and little by little the green is giving way to a straw colour. Today is the 3rd day of fermentation (no picture yet) and both the colour and smell is closer to a nice white wine. And it is still foaming and working.

 
The general consensus seems to be when the yeast stops working/fermenting it is time to strain and bottle (age). This can take 21 days or more for a larger batch. My tiny re-purposed Motts glass vat...a bit quicker.  I am re-purposing those small single serving glass wine bottles sterilizing them and corking with a layer of sealing wax, and going to save a single bottle out of each batch as I make it.

Not spoofing this batch. All natural ingredients. No additives. See what happens.

This week's book is Norwegian author Jo Nesbo's latest tome: The Son
 Unlike his long running series of Detective novels...this one stands alone. It is certainly not a "whodunit"...as we know from the very first chapter who is committing the murders.  
By the very last chapter we come to realize why.

 Fast paced. Cohesive read, set once again in Oslo. Unforgettable characters. Would make a great movie. If you enjoy psychological thrillers, you'll LOVE this book.

And found a new Taste Sensation that you MUST TRY. I'm serious. Throw a container of this in your weekend shopping cart...you'll thank me for the tip.

Breyer's (the ice cream people) have tried their hand at Gelato.

Try the TIRAMISU.

As the Italians would say  "Meglio di Sesso"  (...better than sex...)

Which is saying...well...a lot!

At 160 calories per 1/2 cup it isn't terribly calorie intensive, and a half cup is the perfect sweet indulgence. 

So go. Enjoy your weekend and don't forget to pick up the Gelato!