Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Saying Goodbye to 2014




And taking a minute to reflect on the Year.

The goals...for the most part met.  Okay...except for that day of silence thing. Maybe next year. 

Loretta is so proud. Not only has she learned to navigate the World Wide Web...but now she is encouraging others to try. She has also continued in her neverending quest to impart her fashion sense to me. Sometimes successful (...I do own multiple infinity scarves, four purses, and numerous pairs of shoes/boots, and matching earrings now). Apparently, it's a process. 

And thanks to Carol I think we can all agree that the new Challenger is 2014's "sexy beast of a car" for the year! Hellcat- non-withstanding.

We watched several states legalize marijuana...and many many more embrace same sex marriage....and somehow the world did not grind to a halt. Dorito and snack food sales and home decorating items went through the roof, though.

And it snowed and snowed and snowed...and then rained and rained and rained. A beautiful Summer and Fall....and we barely cracked the high 90's this year.

I became a Grandma again! Another beautiful grandson "Aiden Brock Hurst" And I was there to say "Welcome to the World" and enjoy his Fraggle hat (orange) and neon green footprints! As well as tacos in the room later for our little Cinco de Mayo guy!

Thanks to last year's 5:2 Diet I not only kept off the pounds I lost, but for the first year in over 25 years...I actually lost a few more and am toning up. I feel really positive about this! 
Happy with my body for the first time since 1986.
The last DIET I will ever have, or need.

Nicole managed to find her daughter (who had been abducted by her ex-husband 3 years ago)  now has full custody, and he has very strictly enforced supervised visitation.

We watched The Seahawks absolutely slaughter the Broncos on Superbowl Sunday 2014. It was pathetic. Can't wait to see who will play this year.

I finally bought my full-size plein air easel...and enjoyed sitting outside during the Spring/Summer and Fall creating with acrylics...spawning the Behind the Door Gallery.

I discovered the joys of Cronuts and the horrors of Artichokes :)

Together...we learned to make Limoncello! Nothing better in the midst of the hot summertime to sip.

I managed to get the second Zen book in print and a good start on the third and final book of the trilogy to be released in April of 2015.

There were some sobering moments as well. The results of the MRI showing that FRED (...that little space invader...) was indeed causing some of the problems that caused my seizures and put the stops on my solo travel in April. I am going to resume my MRI's in January. Frankly the whole thing was depressing and I refused this November's sneak peek.

The grisly discovery of Pia Farrenkoft in a garage in Michigan who had been dead (and mummified) in her garage for over 6 years and nobody noticed she was missing.

The untimely death of the ultimate adventurer/traveller Harry Devert in Mexico.

 The death of amazing funny man Robin Williams.

 And some more personal. The death of our amazing Guitar-Man- Loran. His being the first death within our DS family and we were in shock getting our heads around it. Especially since just before he had attended the Colorado Gathering with everyone. We were all able to attend his Macon Memorial in real time virtually...and we have embraced the Tarantula Ritual at future DS Gatherings in his Memory. He would have sooo approved.

 Also the "all too soon death" of my friend, neighbour and crazy-cat lady, Tess...who had given cancer a run for its money...only to succumb of a heart attack. RIP

And, of course, the death of Bruce in September. Sometimes there just aren't enough words...or tears. Always a friend...sometimes a lover. It seems a lifetime ago. I will see you in my memories and dreams. Thank you, for trust, helping me slay my internal demons...helping me find my brother...and giving me 18 again...long after I thought it was gone forever. 
 Je n'oublierai jamais.
 RIP

Fred Phelps died this year, too...and the world became a little less hate filled.

Ebola dominated the World News. Thousands in Africa died and over 10,000 now are infected. And although I was pretty blasé through the Bird Flu scare...I have to admit this brought out the panic in me. 

I discovered the joys of owning a Keurig! 
(Dear Green Mountain Recall People...if you attempt to take my Keurig- I WILL cut you. Sincerely ME)

In April (...realizing that my gypsy-travel was over...) I made the happy transition to Virtual Gypsy.  Maine (always my Unicorn) became a two week long virtual adventure. It was incredible. I am beginning the New Year in (virtually, of course) a tour of France. See everything I have always wanted to see...peruse and even shop the stores and sample the tastes.

My good friends Sal and Diane tied the knot! Married. And with the magic of cyber-space we all got to be there! Marti and Lee married as well! Several others became engaged or romantically involved- or in the case of Vicki and Mark and Carol and Jeff...moved across country to be together. Our family became even tighter.

I turned 54...and cultivated a new habit of watching sunrises and sunsets with my morning coffee or evening herbal tea/glass of wine. It is outstanding!

I experimented with Aquarella (watercolor based pencils). Not my cup-of-tea...but you know my motto (stolen from Andy Warhol)
TRY EVERYTHING!


I took the plunge after several nasty falls and got The Walker. It has made a huge difference in regaining my independence! I did not paint it candy apple red or with flames...lol! I do have the Harley tee, and the leather trousers fit now.  No sense dressing like a geezer.

I learned that despite FRED I can still sit a horse...enjoy a day at the Falls or Creek...and a million other wonderful things!

I survived a SPIDER dropping in my bath...I cannot say the same about the spider. (...hey, if you are as arachnophobic as I am...you would understand this is a major accomplishment...)

Indiana recognized same-sex marriage...a minor miracle in this state. I wish Bill could have lived to see this day.

I experienced Five Guys Burgers and Fries! 
OMG!!!


It was brought to my attention that Brown Sugar Cinnamon PopTarts do, indeed, have 420 calories...coincidence...I think not. (420...get it?)
Official snack food of Colorado.

I tried my hand...and learned to make homemade wine! Blush and White. Next up...going to ferment a batch using Cran-grape juice :)

I discovered the joys of Breyer's Tiramisu Gelato  (meglio del sesso)
                                                                                   better than sex

And I tried Mark and Sheri's recipe for Rosemary Herbed Bread. Not quite Breyer's Tiramisu...but pretty damn good and a use for all the extraneous Rosemary I grew in the herb basket this year.

I did the ALS Bucket Challenge...as did many of my friends...and Tucker-Cat...lol! Who was a bit less than amused.

"Idgy" and I had a wonderful late Summer Adventure together and planned next year's Joint Birthday Adventure already...including a bonfire of a cake with 95 candles (40 for her and 55 for me) She taught me to paint with palette knives and I taught her how to sell on eBay. We exchanged recipes and cooked together and had picnics in the park! Even a balloon "Let it Go" release on our last day together.

I attended all the birthday parties, the orchard trips, the Farmer's Market on the Square, The Covered Bridge Festival...and more.

I re-learned the difference between a crisis and an inconvenience when Pam's childhood home burned to the ground...and suddenly what was really important in life you could count on one hand.

I VOTED.

I took a Zen Retreat and a Writing Retreat...but did not manage a Photography Retreat this year. Maybe Next?

Chris and Tina moved into their own apartment and so for the first time in nearly 30 years I have my pre-husband/pre-kids Life back! I'm loving it!

I managed to Mall Rat monthly with a group of friends...Bloomington, Metropolis, Castleton, Terre Haute :)
Never get too old to Mall Rat

I have not only mastered using the transit system here...but we now have a local cab so I can get anywhere, again!


I enjoyed Tina's wonderful first Thanksgiving dinner..and Nicole's amazing Christmas Eve Feast...and got to see/spend time with Lennon for a week before Christmas..and spent all the holidays with the kids and grands and their Moms! It was The Best.

In the midst of this I SURVIVED the current version of the flu...or as I refered to it:  The Plague!

So did everyone else in the family.

We drew eyebrows on the baby...lol!  Somehow it seemed important to mention. I had been wanting to do it since he was born. I doubt they would have laughed in the birthing room.
Funniest thing ever!

I became an (honorary) Great Grandma Rose with the arrival of Brittany's daughter Amelia Rose in December. She is beautiful! And so tiny!

And tonight...like we have for years now...Idgy and I are ringing in the New Year together with cheese and crackers and Honey Mead and (virtual) confetti...which is much much easier to clean up! 

2014...it has been one hell of a wild ride!

Hang on tight...I think 2015 is going to be 
Even Better!