Saturday, April 11, 2015

De-Evolution



The Edge.

Yeah...it is a lot like this.  A friend/ buddy/long ago lover of mine (now deceased) and I used to call it "de-evolution"...which it was.  He battled the long term after-effects of a bad motorcycle wreck and I was just getting used the slow deterioration of my abilities, that we would find out later was a result of FRED (glioma/astrocytoma).  Yeah...we were a mess. But we laughed and called it "De-Evolving" and when my gait first got to the point I required a cane for assist , Bill and I picked out a really great Dragon handle





And my friend's advice...with a grin...when this time came, was to purchase Leather Trousers and a Harley tee-shirt...which I did.

They'll just assume you've been in a bad bike wreck!"

I sure could have used his perspective, yesterday.

I shouldn't whine.

I have been a Gypsy all my life. Travelling for me is like breathing is for other people. I have done/seen more in my (nearly) 55 years than many people do in their entire lives.

But yesterday...those facts didn't ease the impact. 

After a several day recovery from The Easter Weekend...then on Wednesday a trip across to Greenwood necessitating about an hour and a half both ways...and the following two days spent in severe pain and absolutely exhausted...feeling as though I was never going to bounce back...I realized that my ability to travel out of state for even 2-3 days was now completely beyond my capabilities.

Followed closely by the realization that I already had a trip planned and paid for to meet "Idgy" halfway in only weeks...and that my eldest had asked me to accompany him, his wife, and two of my grandchildren on their vacation in August. 

Yeah...bummer...doesn't really seem to cover it, you know.

But after a short "pity-party" 




A Bakery Cupcake.
(...to be fair...I would have eaten this anyway..)




And a few tears...I had coffee and chat with "Idgy", who immediately kicked my well-deserving pathetic ass, and let me know that

"You Aren't Getting Rid of ME that easy...You are STUCK with me...okay?"

And then proceeded to make plans to come HERE for the weekend we planned...and suggested if Greyhound actually did refund my ticket...that I should use the refunded cash to invest in a bit more wine and chocolate for our celebration in May...and maybe a fire extinguisher for the cake...lol!

 And that we were just going to adjust/adapt to the situation. 

You know what is wonderful about real friends

Everything. 


Just like the September DS Gathering...here...this year.





So..."Idgy" thanks for having my back...and to my DS Family...September means more to me than you can even imagine...and James and Nicole...I will always treasure the invite...and take a million pictures and share them with me. It is your turn now to Show Your Children the World!  
                                          (...see...there it is!)

 And Wednesday's trek to Greenwood was good despite the set-backs. Once again spent with Loretta, Gail, Gina, Sharon, Eric and Don. Real Friends. People who understand and care...who look past the difficulties and just enjoy life

An early morning together at Starbucks sipping Cappuccino and enjoying Almond Pastries.  Perusing the shops at the mall...smelling the new Spring Scents at Yankee Candles including Cotton Candy and Salt-Water Taffy. Two of MY favorites. Picking up Peach Bellini foaming hand soap at Bath and Body and a small bottle of shimmery Diamondesque hand gel (sparkly)  Loretta surprised me at lunch with an early birthday gift of beautiful matched 6 mm pearl earrings from the jeweler's. They go perfectly with my 6 mm necklace. We laughed. Shared Chinese. Enjoyed a treat of "Cookies and Cream Dippin' Dots" and planned Sharon's Birthday (at my house) this year. Judy and I, are celebrating ours at Loretta's later this month. 

So curtailed travel, and pain aside. Still many more good days than bad....and those days are filled with Real Friends and Family. 

And THAT is EVERYTHING, people.





Have a wonderful Weekend!