Thursday, July 2, 2015

July...Revisited Goals...Summertime and Reunions







Is there anything that conjures up visions of Summer Fun like the month of July?

And here it is.  Half the year gone and half to go.

January's Goals...some reached and some forgotten...some yet to be achieved. 

Continuing to practice Zen Buddhism.

The emphasis is probably always going to rest on the word "practice". Or so it has been my experience. Several steps forward coupled with a couple of steps back. Maybe this describes all of us. 
Maybe even Life.

 Reduce stuff and simplify even more.


Still winnowing down...and it is incredibly satisfying.


Organize.


Going well. Hiring help with some of the things I am incapable of doing these days has helped tremendously. Both psychologically, and freeing me up to do those things I can accomplish!


Continue the 6:1 Maintenance Program and work out daily. 


I am still finding it hard to believe I can maintain my target weight with a simple one day Fast. But it works,and I am grateful. I am also beginning to suspect the 5:2 worked to somehow re-set my metabolism. I know it helped with portion control. The daily workouts have become hit and miss recently. Need to adjust this. I feel much better physically and emotionally when I am consistent with them.


Observe the GIGO (garbage in-garbage out) Principle in all aspects of my life.



This, sadly, also a hit or miss recently.  Started watching the Hannibal Series...talk about garbage in. And have indulged in some pure stress grazing a few times too many recently. 
Nothing I can't adjust.

Be proactive financially, and continue a savings plan.


This is going well. Actually, I am proud of the progress I have made this year. Not debt free yet, but making great progress...and the monthly bills are now paid in advance...saving me an unmentionable amount on late fees/ and stress. Also building a small savings buffer which promises to give me great peace of mind by year's end.


Make time for one Photography Retreat, one Zen Retreat and One Writing Retreat for the year.



I have managed one Zen Retreat and One Writer's Conference already this year and plan to do a Photo Retreat in the Fall.


Enter at least one Photograph and one Essay or Poem in Contest Form.



I have entered the Essay.  Still need to enter the photography. Maybe during the Fair.
 
Host: The September DS Gathering.


I am Hosting the September DS Gathering this year! And already have an outstanding number attending!  Can't WAIT to see everyone again!

Continue with The Virtual Gypsy Project



The Virtual Travel Experience is just amazing! Enjoying it greatly. Still muddling my way through the French Provinces!  Summer is here and checking out the vast number of public gardens. To be such a tiny country there is so much to see, and try and experience!


Finish and Publish the last book in the Zen Living Trilogy.

The proof came back and frankly...there were so many things I felt the need to change up that a serious re-write was in order. I am hoping to have this ready to release in early August...if not before. 


So anyway....that is how the goals are coming along.









Chuck and Shirley arriving for a "Hurst-James Family Reunion" at the end of June. Driving 18 hours to show up with doughnuts at 10 AM on Monday. I made coffee and let them in!  All told we had Chuck and Shirley, Chris and Tina, Myself and most of the grands- and enough food fixed for a small army. It was wonderful and the kids got to meet their Great-Grandparents from Florida! Nicki and Tina saved me with all their help...thanks guys!

This week celebrating the 4th with the other side of the family as all of us come together for the "Hurst-Mason-Turpin-Thacker Reunion" over the holiday weekend. Seeing my Brothers and Sisters again and meet nieces, nephews and cousins...most for the very first time!

 

Our last group photo years ago...we have all changed a lot since these days.
My brothers: David, Mikey and Neal and my sisters: Tina and Lisa.

So looking forward to re-connecting with everyone.
Life is too short.

And Life is too short.

Last week my oldest and youngest grand-daughter lost their Grandmother Tina (Maternal Grandmother) as she slipped away quietly in her sleep. Very sad and completely unexpected. She never saw 60. She was blessed to have had time with all her grandchildren, though. I spoke with her mother (...the girls' Great-Grandmother...and a friend/neighbour of mine) offering my condolences, hugs, and realized I could never imagine how painful it must be to face the task of burying your own child.

How fragile...this life.

                                

More anon...