Saturday, September 26, 2015

Delivery Time...Rattlesnake...and other Fall Foods




So my last delivery of French Cheeses arrived right on schedule.

However, apparently, the wines are being lovingly SWAM across the Atlantic Ocean one bottle at a time by a geriatric Frenchman. The projected delivery dates being around mid-October.  ~sigh~  Not even taking the cheeses out of the case. Nobody has that much will-power, and I definitely want to sample them with authentic French wine.

Yeah yeah...as my Middle Son would say

"Such a First World Problem, Mom" 

Anyway...this morning like an early Christmas around here with parcel post.

Remember when you were younger...and you saw something you just HAD to have...but it was not to be. Such were Avon's Solar Magic Earrings in the 90's for me. A pair of golden Maple leaf earrings that touted that when worn in the sunlight would change to Autumnal Hues before your very eyes...

oooohhh....ahhhhh

Okay- maybe it was just me.

They also carried a broach that did much the same.

So imagine my surprise on eBay when I was perusing earrings for Fall to find a pair of these






of course there was that momentary twinge when I noted that my coveted earrings (...which I had honestly forgotten all about...) were classified as Vintage.  

VINTAGE?

(Okay, I am not OLD...I'm definitely Vintage...)

So a couple of mouse-clicks and voila...




And, of course, the day is decidedly overcast...but the next time the sun is shining I will be sitting in it watching for Fall Colours! A wonderful bit of kitsch.


About the Rattlesnake. 

It arrived today, as well.

Background:

This is one of those crazy Bucket (Life) List things.   Just nod and smile. It's okay. The eldest son and I have kind of made a lifetime culinary sport of this.

Son:  "Yeah Mom...but have you tried Octopus?"  (as he was having some he phoned me from a restaurant...honestly)


Me:   "With or without Marinara?"

So anyway...one of the things I have always wanted to try was Rattlesnake. I even have this great recipe from Texas for Rattlesnake Chili.  But first, I just want to taste the real deal. Au Naturale.  Since James is my partner in culinary crime, and because Nicole is fearless and will try anything...well today THIS arrived:





Admittedly, taken aback for a moment when I read the sticker.


Noting an earlier in the month conversation with my friend, Hector, who has indeed eaten Rattlesnake and advised me that there are about 10 million little bones and it

"...tastes a lot like chicken.."

To which James quipped when I shared this news,

"Doesn't EVERYTHING?"

Hey...what if we are wrong. What if chicken tastes just like Rattlesnake?

Anyway...there is a tin of Rattlesnake in the cabinet.

Be afraid. 
Be very afraid.

Yes, I am aware that a true adventurer would have hunted down a side-winder...killed it with one shot and roasted it over an open camp-fire (probably built of mesquite brush) on the wide prairie. Then hung the rattle on a braided leather cord around his/her neck. Those days are behind me.  I found it killed, beheaded, cleaned, cooked and tinned on Amazon...M'kay?

And for the record...eBay actually does sell leather corded rattlesnake rattler necklaces.  Who knew?

When the kids are over for the actual tasting and subsequent chili making I'll do a pictorial. 

Focusing on Fall Foods today.

 A friend of mine brought me a bag of apples from the Orchard and have been busy paring and buttering and adding raw sugar and spices and the whole batch is slow baking in the oven for home-made Baked Apple Butter. Thanks to Marti, and her Mother's Roaster story; I ditched the crock-pot approach to try baking mine, too.

The house smells incredible. 

Fall...my very favourite season!


More anon...




















Nicole and Aiden