Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Post Labor Day...Dear God do they EVEN make enough Coffee...



So...I did get something achieved besides stuffing my face...okay?

Completed the book of Prose I was working on. This was a personal "Journey of the Heart" and is not for purchase...still I wanted the publish-by date to be September 10th...and this may be the first deadline for myself that I have actually met.
A minor miracle in itself.

Okay...and there was a lot of face-stuffing, too. 

We've already slipped into the Fall Foods it appears. Spiced Meads and Crusty Peasant Herbed Loaves. BBQ'd meats and bubbling pots of Ham and Beans with Cornbread and slathers of real butter.

              
                                                      "Fall is Coming"


Enjoyed seeing the boys...and even got to see one of my long lost honorary sons, Johnny, who grew up with the rest of them at The Lake.


                                                   Chris and Tina

                            
                             (....excuse me...but I moustache you a question...)






                                               Johnny and James


While musing about the number of Lost Boys that wandered through our
home while they were growing up...and now STILL refer to me as Mom...James made the most wonderful observation.

"Do you know why they all came to our house? Because you were the only Mom in the neighborhood who actually gave a shit about them."

A bit of a rough-around-the-edges compliment...but remembering the pans of brownies, bread puddings and home cooked meals...and all the shoulders and ears, hugs and a safe place (and advice) I lent all of them back then...a heart-warming compliment none-the-less.

And that is why...when I am out...I am constantly running into honorary sons, and a few daughters.  It is a good feeling and so amazing to see them all grown with spouses and/or children of their own.

They did okay. 

Sometimes all you need is a little love and encouragement.

(and maybe a pan of warm brownies with milk)

Chris is working on another huge vat of Orange Spiced Mead


Which is in the bubbling and fermenting stage right now.  He (and the guys) had a Medieval Feast at Adam's shop on Friday with Spiced Meats and Meads/Ales and Braggot (a mixture of beer and honey mead dating back to the 12th Century) Fresh Fruits and Cheeses.

This was my contribution to the feast.






A Rosemary and Herb Peasant Loaf. Actually made several over the weekend. The herbs are perfect right now. Just starting to cut and dry them. Chopped fresh to make a savory loaf they are outstanding.  I have also seen a way to freeze them in olive oil cubes and store in freezer baggies that looks promising and I'm going to try for the first time this year.

Never ever stop learning. 

Today, I am learning that after stuffing yourself for three days...and maybe a little too much Honey Mead...and way way way too much inactivity...no amount of coffee will revive you. And that could be a problem, because I've got stuff to do.

The Greencastle DS Gathering is only days away!  So excited to see everyone again!  Mostly I am humbled (and blown away) that everyone would bring the Gathering to my little town, now...since I am not able to travel. You guys are the greatest family ever.

Really.

So finishing the last details/cleaning/et al tomorrow and tomorrow evening...then doing Bloomington with Loretta and Sharon early on Thursday as we had pre-planned...and home in time to set a Southern Style meal for Jane and Betsy...and Vicki and Mark who are arriving a day early and helping with set up and transportation.

I CAN do this!


More anon...





Post-Script:  Answered a knock on my door and it was Chris with a plate of 
these.  T'was a Drive-By Beignet-ing... omg!











Greatest Kids EVER!