Saturday, October 20, 2018

Loss of a Loved One...Baked Apple Butter...Painting Fall...Chris is 29 & Catching Up!



Creative Week.

Ham and beans bubbling on the stove-top and cornbread in the oven. Loving this Fall weather, and inspiring me to work more on my (as yet untitled) field of pumpkins.



Still a long long way to go.

Sliced the apples left from our orchard trek and tried crock-pot apple butter and baked some in my iron skillet.

Iron skillet apple butter is definitely the way to go.

Crock-pot took ten hours...mostly overnight, and tasted...honestly...not much better than the stuff you get at the grocery.

The baked apple butter took about an hour and a half. It was wonderful and the house smelled amazing while it was in the oven.

Ended up with about a pint which I packed in 2 half-pint jars. (...it was the last five apples in the bag...)

I'm using out of one and going to give the second one to John, to try.

Finished product on toast.


Lost Aunt Dadi to cancer.


This was the last photo I had from the 4th of July after she had opted out of any further treatments (...it having returned from  remission...).

She wasn't really my Aunt Dadi...she was Bill's...but we had always stayed close.
Of the four sisters, I knew her, Aunt Edna, and (of course) Mom Chandler, best. I think I had met Lita (...the fourth sister) a few times.

When Aunt Edna was dying Dadi stayed right beside her. Took care of her. Bill and I making trips to Indianapolis often. Sometimes when she felt like eating at all she would ask us to bring her Steak and Shake. She loved their food.

When Mom was dying, Dadi came to be there for Bill, her & me.

When Dadi was diagnosed, Lita (who lost her husband several year ago) moved into the house to care for her. After surgery, radiation and many rounds of chemo they said she was cancer free.  Remission was brief and it returned with a vengeance. She died in months.

Here's the thing.

She never complained about her situation or fate. She never bitched about how unfair it was...or turned bitter toward God or anyone else.
Instead she laughed and joked and went out of her way to make others comfortable.

In July she was still touting the fact that although

"...the cancer has spread throughout my body- my fingers and toes remain cancer-free."

Because this was the person she was.

She loved the internet and email. Through the years she must have forwarded us thousands of genuinely funny or incredible things. She wasn't one of those "send this to 10 friends" chain mailer people...she was more of an "Open your email in the morning and pass coffee right through your nose" person.

She left a bit of brightness everywhere she went...and I will miss her.

When I was trying to catch a shot of my painting...I inadvertently caught my sofa (and all the accouterments) for my new bedroom.
 (also a work in progress)

Look beyond the pumpkin patch.

Nearly have everything ready to start opening boxes and transforming my room.

This was my major project for 2018.

Celebrated Chris' 29th birthday with Don this week. Funny how he is "catching up with us" in age...lol.

And who knew every Chinese place in town was closed on Monday, anyway.

We are nothing, if not resourceful, and tried out the new (latest and greatest)  Mexican place in town.

Hard to wrap my brain around the fact that next year he will be 30. (or that in 2 years I will be 60...and that Don is now 71.) 

Time Marches On.



I have SORTED the "screaming kitten in the morning" issue!

This is a major accomplishment. 

Since August when Bat-Ears...er...I mean Sofi, moved into our home...mornings have been seriously chaotic. 

As soon as I moved on the bed the kitten would lose her shit until even Shelby would say

"For godsake...make it STOP!!!"

True Story.

Realizing that all she wants is not to be left alone at night.

Since we are still dealing with Manx Pasty Butt (which is resolving as she gets bigger) inviting her in to the bedroom is NOT an option.

"Besides, I'll eat her if she dares come in..."  -Shelby

"Oh, you wouldn't either." -Sofi

"TRY ME." _Shelby

Anyway...all it took was a bit of a cuddle with Shelby early on...then putting her out in the rest of the house with Sofi (un-crated)  and I actually have my quiet coffee filled peaceful mornings back.

Who knew?

They are getting along well now. Sharing a food bowl. Sleeping together. Playing together. Shelby even grooms her from time to time (and Sofi seems to enjoy it).

(...and I misted the scratch hump with catnip oil...Sofi lost her tiny mind...)

Yeah...she's a keeper.

The latest from Capt. Luck

Dearest mother — We have returned to home camp. The Bison men slowed their pursuit when they realized their unit was without a captain. Perhaps if they did not all go by Bill? We shall use this time to drill. A victory, I dearly hope, is within reach. I love you. — Andrew




James found a new toy this week!












A 1964 Buick Skylark! All original except the tires. A Cruiser.

He has already been approached to join the local car club...lol.

That didn't take long.

Can't wait to see her!



And trying to stay abreast of politics...which is a full time job!

I've voted early.

So all I have left is The Returns.

Watching with shock and horror as Jamal Khashoggi's murder gets more and more bizarre.

He's not dead, he left the consulate we have evidence .

 OK, he has disappeared.

 OK, he may be dead.

 OK, he's dead but we didn't do it.

OK, he's dead, but it was a rogue group who worked for us.

OK he's dead and we did it, but it was only because a 1 vs. 15 fight broke out.

And Der Pumpkinfurher saying

"Sounds legit to me." 

So...you are telling me that this guy



59, obese, health issues...only there for a marriage license...journalist...walked in the consulate and picked a fight with 15 guys (one of whom does 7 minute body breakdowns and carried a bone saw). And they had a body-double on hand.

Fine, he died in a fistfight with 15 dudes...I am sure that they will have no problem then sending back the INTACT body...right?

Waiting for THAT excuse.


"You see, it was the strangest thing...he kept falling on the bone saw...over and over...only at the joints..."


Says the guy who has bungee corded an Italian Restaurant tablecloth to his head.

(...they're gonna want that back, you know...)


Meanwhile back in Washington the GOP and their Orange Leader is frantically reciting The Narcissist's Prayer


Which we have seen a lot in the last 2 years.

YES...


 That is where we are at.  SIGH 
I'm telling you, I really NEED this button!


Off to the Orchard with the grands this weekend, then a Zen Sunday!


See you all Monday!


P.S 

Don't forget The Orion's peak tonight and tomorrow.

The SKY really is falling!