Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Life List #4: Before I Die Wall- NOLA (...and around the World)



Post Katrina, after the death of Joan who she describes as being "...like a Mother to me...",and while she was trying to deal with the loss and depression- Candy Chang came up with an amazing interactive idea.

Using chalkboard paint she utilized the side of one of the decaying buildings to turn it into a larger-than-life chalkboard. Then she stenciled the words BEFORE I DIE I WANT TO_________________________

and left blanks to be filled in.

She considered the entire thing an experiment.

By the next day the board was filled in and still more responses spilling over the edges.

She expanded the Wall.

When I first put this on my Life List I had no idea how far that the Before I Die Wall had grown...and just wanted to see and make a virtual message on the Wall in NOLA.

Now the Before I Die Wall has became a reality in 60 Countries and in 36 different languages. 

Candy has also put online resources and instructions for anyone who wants to create a public Before I Die Wall in their community.

The New Orleans Wall was torn down in 2011 and a brand new home (happily) erected on its site...but the project continues all over the world, now.

The entries range from the fairly predictable


“Before I die I want to find inner peace.”

Avignon, France

and

“Before I die I want to come to terms with who I am.”

Washington, D.C.

To the not-so-predictable 

“Before I die I want to eat all the candy and sushi in the world.”

New Orleans, Louisiana

“Before I die I want to be a Youtube sensation.”

Chicago, Illinois

A few made me laugh out loud.

“Before I die I want to eat all the carbs I want.”

San Francisco, California

(omg, honey...so do the rest of us)

and some were so heartfelt and sad they gave me a lump in my throat

“Before I die I want to quit heroin, turn my life around, and have my kids look at me with pride.”

Reno, Nevada


“Before I die I want to see my son again and have a relationship with him.”

Rome, Italy

“Before I die I want to spend time outside with my mum when she is feeling well.”

Bath, England


These, and more, can be seen at
http://ritualfields.com/project/before-i-die/


 And boards around the World


 

 

 

 







And the REAL surprise to me...

There is a Before I Die Wall located in West Lafayette, Indiana.

A little more than an hour away!



Rubia Flower Market
224 East State Street

So now I MUST see (and write on it) eventually!

http://ritualfields.com/archive/beforeidie/walls/west-lafayette-indiana/

Who knew?


And a video of the spreading of the walls

https://youtu.be/uC4ty6iniDo

More anon...

How would you fill in YOUR blank?


Before I die I want to_______________________




(...write on the "Before I Die Wall" in Lafayette????)