Thursday, November 8, 2012

An Afternoon Cup



Okay...this is so my Life...

An Afternoon Cup with an old friend...mentor...long past lover and once-upon-a-time-Republican. Having coffee after the election was NOT a scheduling coincidence (...for either of us...) 

~laughing~

So after all these years we sit in a local tea-room sharing life, pictures of children...grandchildren...and doing what we do best...discussing politics and the recent election. A bit stiffer. A tad grayer. Both on the same page after over 25 years.  

A minor miracle.

The political shift, that is.

And I must admit missing the dynamics of

How the hell could you believe/trust/think like THAT"

 or

"You voted for WHO????"
followed closely by a heavy sigh.

The truth of the matter that both the far left and the far right have swung so far out there that somehow we have found ourselves huddled in the middle wondering what the hell has happened to the government (our politicians) that no longer work "for the people" but instead work only to further their political careers.

Both agreeing that something must give...that the bickering/walk outs/ obstruction/ willful gridlock must end. That the fiscal cliff is a reality and that concessions must/will be made on both sides in fairly short order to avoid the disaster that years of tax cuts/financial spending and borrowing has created. 

So we watch...and wait...and hope for saner heads to prevail.

On a local level I am effuse with praise for our Mayor of Greencastle whom I contacted in February of the year about a safe crossing issue.

 Years ago, I dealt with INDOT. It was a campaign worthy of "Shawshank Redemption". Objective...to secure a stoplight at an impossible to cross in rush hour traffic intersection. Eventually, I did get the stoplight (with a protected left) in place. It took 3 years and so many letters that I literally could not put a number to it. Somewhere over 100. Sometimes, I have to think Joe just gave me the damn light so the letters would stop.

After moving here in November, I immediately noticed that crossing over to the rambling People Pathway through our college town was (for me...and several of my neighbors) a dangerous and nearly impossible prospect. I e-mailed our Mayor.  The very next day I received a well-thought out and personal response in the affirmative. Within a month the traffic study was complete and plans were being drawn up. Throughout the process I received several additional updates on the progress/funding of my crosswalk and safety pedestrian (crossing) lights. At the end of October the actual crosswalk was painted and now they are beginning the pedestrian safety (walk) lights. In INDOT time this has all been earth-shatteringly fast. I thank our local politicians for that.

 Never let anyone make you believe that you can't change things.

The only people that do change things or make a difference are the people who believe they can.

Which brings me back to my old friend.


Today, I took the time over our yearly brunch to thank him. For making such a huge difference in my life. He was the person to inspire me to go to college. To help me believe I could make a Difference in Life. Who took the time to believe in me...at a time when I had difficulty believing in myself.  I owe him a lifetime of gratitude.

 I graduated from Nursing School...Passed my State Boards...and spent the next 15 years "making a difference" in other's lives and my own. Because we may not be able to change the world individually...but we can change our little corner of it.


 ...together...

We CAN change the World!