Saturday, January 18, 2014

Another cup of 5:2...












Weighing in this morning...and above is my total weight loss since beginning the 5:2 Diet.  Thirty pounds. A bit more than 2 Stone.

And I try to imagine  having carried those groceries around 24-7. It is no small wonder I feel better. More energy. And my CBC/BMP Triglyceride and Cholesterol levels were (in my doctor's words) 

PERFECT

And I am continuing on the 5-2 (or FAST Diet) this year. My target remains between 125-130  (another 10 to 15 pounds) then i will switch to the 6:1 Maintenance.

This morning I read a couple of articles written in The New York Times that prompted a rant and a couple of letters to the authors of fore-mentioned articles.


One went as far as ridiculing it as “trying to have your cake and eat it too.” 

The other likened it to self-abuse and hinted at anorexic behaviour. 



Dear Folks at the NYT:

I beat anorexia years ago...trust me.

and 

Why yes...I did manage to have my cake and (on non-fast days) eat it, too. Thanks for noticing!
It was delicious :)

In my opinion, the reason this works and so many many many have failed is a combination of factors.

It removes foods from "good" and "bad" catagories. Food is not depicted either as a comfort or the enemy. Kind of the Zen of Dieting.

It comes without the "oh..I blew it" guilt or self-flagellation.  Eat too much on a Fast Day...or take a Holiday...you just pick up exactly where you left off. It is that simple.

It is sustainable and easy. 

And yes...on the non-fast days you can still enjoy Cream Brulee or one Perfect Chocolate Frosted Cupcake :)

Celebrating the re-emergence of my waistline and transverse abdominal muscles and seeing the beginnings of lines again, at 53...

It's the little things!