Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The Oscars...Finishing Paris...and an APB for Spring



How do I feel about Birdman getting the Oscar for Best Picture...instead of...oh American Sniper or Selma...

Birdman?

Are you effing kidding me???????????????????????

Look...I think all the casting and subsequent acting was outstanding. Loved seeing Keaton return to the wide screen. Norton is always one of my favorite over-the-top actors. A lot of feeling, heart and soul poured into this film.

But, BEST Picture of the Year?
WTH are they smoking?

By the end of it, I wanted to shove Keaton out that open window, myself..okay?

The only flaw in American Sniper was the nursery scene. Maybe it did cost them the Oscar.  Even when I was watching the film I sat wondering...after all of this...why are they using a doll instead of a live baby?

 Later the press would explain that the original baby was sick the day of the shoot...and the back up baby didn't arrive...

So WHO made the call to use a doll?

 It had to be a guy.

 Seriously.

There wasn't a woman alive who watched that on the wide screen, and didn't know 3 seconds into the scene that they used a prop for a baby. The rest of the film was so accurate and so well put together and well shot that it was even MORE obvious and disturbing.

You mean to say in the entire studio...NO one had a live child that you could borrow for the shoot. 

Seriously...your loss.

White and red seemed to be the colours de nuit and the best dress of the evening had to be Nyong'o and the white pearl creation. Just gorgeous.










And the very best Red dress rocked by Rosamund Pike. A v-notch neckline would have elevated this ensemble to "Goddess"

Just Saying.

And Jay Leto...





Who sadly let his mother (or possibly Prince) dress him before this year's ceremonies. You know...you have to work pretty hard to make Leto un-sexy...but somehow they pulled it off. I want to  help institute a new rule from this year forward that Mr. Leto is not allowed on the red carpet unless he is clad in black leather. Maybe next year!



Back to the Virtual France Adventure after a brief hiatus...and ready to move on from Paris which I have pretty thoroughly explored and exhausted...to Arles and Montmartre. I enjoyed the cuisine and new recipes immensely . A package of truffles shipped from La Maison du Chocolat were exquisite. The Museums (I now have a poster from the Louve gift shop and a coffee mug) and The Eiffel Tower. The Seine and Champs Elysée. Also read Hemmingway's: A Moveable Feast. 
My Mother's House by Collette
and did a re-read of Camus: The Stranger. 
(which may actualy spawn a new tattoo...)

In the depths of winter, I discovered within me an endless summer.

“Au milieu de l'hiver, j'ai découvert en moi un invincible été.” ― Albert Camus

So, onward to Arles and Montmartre...and absinthe...artistes during the Impressionist Movement...and the reigon circa the late 1800's.




As an aside, I now realize that the France I crave is long gone. So perhaps virtual travel here is preferable in the 21st Century, anyway.

I'm a really frustrated gardener this week as my friends on the Western Pacific send pictures of their burgeoning blossoms and green pips peering above loamy soil. This morning I woke to inches of snow and permafrost and -5 degrees (real temp). The loamy soil here...a distant memory.

Not much longer now, though!

Come on, SPRING!



And realized this morning what a foreign concept having a housekeeper was to me when I found myself thinking how I needed to get...wait for it...

The house cleaned before she arrived this week.

"DOH!"







This might take some getting used to...