Monday, May 11, 2015

Politics...Mother's Day...Gardening and a lot more stuff...



And the reality finally reached the proportions of the initial sketch of what our community Movers and Shakers dreamed.

Spent early last week at a street-side table at Starbucks on our Square enjoying Chai, chat and politics with Barb and Kara...two "politically aligned" good friends...which is always nice.

Opening our "meeting" with "The Tiny Committe to Dispense with Pence, will Now come to Order". 

Sadly, we are only half joking. And yes...duct tape may well be the answer.

 After lamenting that our amazing town mayor will not be seeking re-election (...with a moment of sad silence...) we discussed the candidate that may end up taking her place on the ballot and deemed him generally worthy.  

And generally tackling some of the world problems...for about 4 hours...we parted to re-convene again soon. Even though we all have coffee and chat on Facebook together nearly every day!

Barbara introducing us to a new sub-group of like minded political and religious individuals (on Facebook as well) and adding us the very next day. Sort of a Middle Way of politics and religious discussion. So far it has been quite interesting. Fanatics and Extremists need not apply. We have both Republicans and Democrats and a lot of Independents...and both the religious and non-religious there...all of us politely exchanging viewpoints and actually having a dialogue.
It is outstanding!

                                               "Mother's Day 2015"

Started on Friday...with a card, and a box filled with Mom Items!  Sea Salt Caramels from Figis and A Matching Mom Coffee Mug, Tea Towel and Hydrangea Apron. Yeah...an APRON. I heard that snigger and maybe even a snort from here. Actually it is quite quaint... and reminds me of my Aunt Vernie, who I don't think I ever saw without one on. When I don it I get this overwhelming urge to BAKE something and when there is a random knock at my door I intentially smudge a bit of flour on my face...giving the impression I have been whipping up tasty treats all day...lol!

Saturday, Chris and Tina came bearing a ginormous rose card...chocolate...black gardening mulch and off we went to Metropolis for the day. A Mother's Day Applebee's Brunch featuring one of these





Their Signature Sirloin with Parm and Shrimp.

And exploring






With Candy and Sodas from all over the World. Of course we sampled their wares...and plan a return trip.

And ended the day perusing Barnes and Nobles Book-store.

Then, Mother's Day Proper at James and Nicole's.

And Aiden's 1st Birthday Party...which had morphed into a Rock Star Party instead of Minions.

And looked a lot like THIS!



                                           "Aiden: One Year Old"
                                           My Youngest Grandson
                                        
                                            "And NOW for a Drum Solo"



                                                "Nicole's Guitar Cake"

And Katie who was on the Crumb Clean up Committee!





 And a fun Birthday Puppet Production by Miss Emma...assisted by her brother Brenden.





Which was going along swimmingly until that pesky dragon showed up in the second act...



Devouring most of the cast...a horse...and (offstage noises) the crew...and ending the "not quite ready" for Broadway Production with a resounding belch and a balloon "fart".

I think what impressed me the most about the Puppet Theater is that you seldom see children play like this any more. It seems with the arrival of the  technological age children spend all their time with their X-Boxes and hand held devices and so much less time using their imagination and being creative kids. Not these kids...who spent the day splashing away in puddles...fishing...catching tadpoles...playing on the slip and side or showing me the three turtles they've managed to "catch".



Part of my Mother's Day was a couple bags of frozen freshly caught Walleye from James previous fishing trip, a day filled with Grandchildren, Love, Laughter and CAKE...and a special gift from Emma of THIS (see below)




Yep.
A new (huge) creek rock!
She knows how I love stones.

(...a rock...I got a rock...) 

~laughing~

By the time I got home I was absolutely worn out! But so worth it!

So the mulch is waiting until the lawn around the garden beds is less "squidgy" and I finish picking up the herbs and sets I need this week. The nearby Maple has excitedly exploded over the patio again...my pansies and Johnnie Jump-Up's have been moved into smaller clay pots still loving the cool wet weather, but freeing up my herb basket.


The Morning Glory seeds have shot up after the numerous rains...and so have the Poppy Seeds sent by my friend Gail

Ditto the Day Lilies and Hostas...and the Purple Flag Irises now have buds.
I have to re-plant one of the roses that didn't winter well...but the second is leafed out and looks healthy. The Boxwoods will be trimmed when I mulch...and the trimmings put in water to root. My friend Ola recently gave me a handful of Spider (plant) babies to root in water and transplant, too.

Garden Season has officially arrived!

"Idgy" and I excitedly discussing each morning over Coffee and Chat our Spring Adventure...

Not long now!
Only a few hundred gazing balls apart.

Busy Times!

Life is Good :)




                                  















 "Nicole and The Birthday Boy"