Monday, October 26, 2015

The 24 Hour Without Technology Experiment...or Surviving Electronic Addiction



OMG...I think I speak for both of us when I say

 "Thank God THAT is over..."

And neither of us held out the full 24 hours, I might add.

I did make 18 [if you didn't count the use of the camera]...okay?

And the first thing I immediately realized Sunday morning is I use entirely more gadgets in my day to day life than one would even imagine.

And yes, Laura, a "blow-dryer" does so count.

Anyway...I had my Keurig and my Stove...oh you wanted toast with that? Well...you had best stick it under the broiler in the oven then.
WTH?

And I realized immediately that in the 21st Century "No Technology" wasn't even realistic. It wasn't like I was going to unplug the refrigerator/freezer for 24 hours. And the block that keeps the laptop charged. Or the AC/Heat set auto-control to 70. And I certainly wasn't reverting to a chamber-pot when I have a perfectly serviceable flush toilet.

Anyway...there was a moment early on Sunday when I realized that the instant connectivity to the kids, my friends and family, the news et al was, in fact, an addiction.
No different than any other addiction.
It actually made me a bit edgy.
It felt strange.

Coffee without news and chat.

It was an extremely productive morning. Got around to taking care of and cleaning things I had been putting off for a long time.

Worked more on my Afternoon Water Lily Painting which I have dubbed "Four-Thirty", a nod to Monsieur Monet who once told a reporter he needed to be there to see his water gardens before 5:00 PM as

"the lilies are closed by then".














And, not quite finished but set it up beside my "Morning Light" piece done earlier in the year...just to see the lighting contrasts. Going to detail a few of the lilies to half and full closed blossoms. Hence "Four-Thirty"

(ah ha...maybe that was the reason for Monet, Renoir, Pissaro, and Van Gogh's success and prolific production of painting after painting. No Cell phones or Internet.)

Monet:  "Hey Renny, sending you my latest via Snap-Chat"

Renoir: "OMG...WHAT is THAT???"

Monet: "Oops, sorry...just something Henri sent...filthy little troll...my bad!"

Came in and was going to work on a manuscript I have started then realized

IT IS ON THE LAP-TOP.

Well, crap.

Maybe I will just dump the photos I just took from the camera I wasn't suppose to be using anyway...this may be the whole DENIAL stage I was talking about yesterday.

Except that would involve...

MY LAP-TOP and Editing Software. 

By now I am so forlorn...rattled...jonesing...that I went to the Keurig to fix a cup of Peach Ginger Tea with a touch of Peach Whiskey.  Ostensibly, to soothe my jangled psyche. In all reality, probably just so I could touch/use something electronicListen to the soothing motor purr to me that connectivity is only another 9 hours or so, away.

(Depression...Elizabeth?)

Cooking!  

OMG...I can cook! 

There is HOPE!

So, I chopped and minced and crumbed and made an amazing meatloaf with peppers and onions and such.  Pared fresh red potatoes and set them to boil for mashed potatoes with butter. Opened a jar of put up green beans and seasoned them with bacon drippings.

Obviously THIS is why the Amish cook so well. No electronic interference. Lots of time on their hands.

 Insufferable bastards.

Made sweet tea and settled into the best meal I had prepared just-for-myself in a while. Sat outside in the crisp Fall air afterwards with Tucker who also appreciated my much slower Sunday and better cooking.

When we came back inside it was STILL only 5 PM.

(...without technology you are in some kind of alternate reality time warp I have found...where a day lasts a lifetime...) 

Lit the candles...drew a wonderful bubble bath.
Settled in for a hour's soak.

It was relaxing...but when I re-emerged it had just hit 6 PM.

I think this may be ANGER.  

Pretty sure announcing to The Cat


"This is STUPID"

and


"Screw THIS"

validates that.

Or it may have been the ravings of an addict without their "fix".

Either way...at 6 PM...I checked The News. And found a good movie to watch.

And turned the damned lights on.

And used my Magic Bullet to make the Smoothie I had been wanting all day.

And it was GOOD.

Oh...and checked my e-mail, where there was a note from Laura that simply read

"Fuck This."

LMAO! 

Time Stamped a Full Hour and a Half before I had caved.

It was interesting experiment, though.  
Try it yourself sometime. 
It may surprise you. 

Anyway, it is over...the house never looked better and I have almost completed my second Impressionist Painting and have ideas for the third and last of the Water Lilies Series.  I love playing with the lighting and reflections and water. Am contemplating an overcast day with raindrops on the pond and surface of the lilies next.

We will see.

 I can understand Monet's captivation with the Water Garden and Lilies and Reflections.

I get it!  
(...and there is that carp...look closely...)

Like waking from a bad dream...this morning life returned to NORMAL! Toast popping up from the toaster. The reassuring whirr of the blender and my Peach Smoothie. The final sputter of my Keurig, the smell of Chicory Coffee...and a couple of Sweet Potato Pancakes both gifts from my Louisiana friends, Deanna and Paula, while they were up! Tucker meowing for breakfast then curling up in a purring ball then snoring beside me.
That after-breakfast cat nap.

And the laptop's dim glow...and my Newsfeed...and saying Good Morning to my kids, assorted friends and family via FB...and later Coffee and Chat with "Idgy" like we have for almost ten years now.

Either in real time or online  (in the box...as we refer to it).

Like the cat...I crave my routine. 

"Idgy" and I, making Plans for next year's combined Birthday and Fall Adventure!

We have only settled on a few points right now...squirrelling back about $20 a week "mad money" (or as she called it-  bail money) between now and then for Fall Doings together. Also...instead of a Bonfire Birthday Cake like this year...we are fixing these:






Birthday Strawberry Daiquiris. Four candles on hers and 5 on mine. And whipped cream and sprinkles, of course!   And playing in the leaves. 
 Beyond that...who knows?

Can't wait to share The Fall (again) together!

More anon...