Thursday, October 15, 2015

The First 2016 Democratic Presidental Debate



And for possibly the first time ever-in-life...I find myself agreeing with Trump on one thing...

(the horror)

only I have to modify the statement: There were THREE who didn't need to be on the stage at all. It was a waste of their time and money. 

Chaffee may be sincere and "scandal-free" but he is totally off-putting and unelectable.

Webb is still in the jungles of Vietnam and some of his answers were a bit wonky.

Who is your worst political enemy? 

" The guy who threw that grenade at me back in Vietnam" 

And then alluded to the fact that he had taken the guy out...WTH???

O'Malley, who overall talked a good show, but isn't even liked in his own State. If you can't even carry your own State...how on Earth do you think you can compete Nationally?

Leaving, of course, Hillary and Bernie. 

Before this debate, I was one of the people who was up Wasserman's Ass to get more debates scheduled.

Now...I think six will be more than enough.  

Hillary was polished and smooth. She has spent a lot of time in this rodeo and it was a performance piece for her. Live Art.

Bernie was uncomfortable and it was obvious this was his first ever debate of this kind.  The man who can move nearly 30,000 people from a stage was out of his element in this format...and his discomfort was palpable. You kind of wanted to give him a hug. Seriously.  He even reached reassuringly to comfort Webb when the man was being grilled...and spoke out in defense of Hillary when she was questioned ad nauseum about her emails saying

"I think the American People are getting sick and tired of hearing about Hillary's damned e-mails"

Producing instant relief to Clinton...and Violating the Presidential Debates Unspoken Rules of Engagement, probably.

Aiding and Abetting the Enemy. 

Except Bernie really didn't view anyone on that stage as The Enemy. I found the moment kind of endearing, actually. More than anything it showed us his character. What he was made of. No, he wasn't some slick and pre-packaged candidate who would do or say anything to get elected. He was just Bernie being Bernie. A decent human being. And I have to admit, I LIKE that.

About the saying anything to get elected question posed by Cooper to Hillary...I call Bullshit.






First...how does anyone respond to that question. Did they expect her to say:

"Why YES, Anderson...that is certainly the American Political Way."

Seriously...of course she refuted this claim.

I might have even believed her, had I not seen her in action for years.
Complete with the application of a Southern Accent when she visited the South. Make no mistake about it, this woman can morph quicker than any Mighty Morphing Power Ranger ever thought about doing.



Everyman...er woman.  I will BE whatever you need me to be, to get your vote. From a NY Power Suit to Bibbed Overhauls and a Hayseed Accent. I have witnessed this transformation, personally. And we aren't talking over a number of years...we are talking from one State to the Next.

Hearing The Who

"Who are you..."

And about that "woman" thing.  Over and Over she reminded us that she is

...a woman...

I am certainly not discounting the fact that she has spent an enormous amount of time scratching and clawing her way up through the glass ceiling or fighting for reproductive rights...but don't ask me to think of you as the best candidate for the job simply because you were born with a vagina...okay? Carly Fiorina has one of those things, too. As I understand, they come stock.

So despite CNN's proclamation that Hillary Won the Debate even going against their own polls (as well as several other major sources that solidly gave The Win to Bernie).



As far as I am concerned Bernie (and the American people) were the Winners in this debate.

I am not interested in slick, pre-packaged, comfortable politics as usual. I want REAL.

I want Bernie Sanders in 2016.

As an aside, I was extremely impressed by the way the candidates (for the most part) limited their attacks on each other, and even limited them on the Republican Party, to deal instead with the real issues. It wasn't a mud-free zone...but it was a hell of a lot more positive than the GOP debates have been thusfar.

 


And Hillary...maybe, just maybe, we can learn a thing or two from Denmark. I think people are tired of hearing

"We can't do it that way."

and are finally beginning to ask

"Why Not US?"



More anon...