Friday, February 19, 2016

The Parting...A Glimpse of Spring...And Working With My Bonsai



Life repeatedly teaches up that nothing is permanent...but how different that lesson feels when it hits home.

This week the youngest and his girlfriend/fiancé parted ways after two years. It was a difficult decision all around. Pragmatically...it is better, I suppose, than after you've married and started a family.

Heartwise, though...it is still hard.
A broken heart is still a broken heart. No matter how young or old you are.

They are being adults about it. So that is good. They are both good people. Some times things just aren't meant to be.

Chris has a tremendous circle of friends and family who love and care for him very much, and he has thrown himself back into his music in a big way.  Donna, Dayne, Eric, Don, Kyle, Cody, Crystal, Kevin, Jacob, Jake, Amanda, Jasmine, and I have surrounded him in a circle of love and activity- and he will emerge a stronger person from this. I have no doubt. Maybe they both will.

Already he has made the joke

"I'm Hanging Out with an Italian Model, Now."


Referring to his Sicilian Carmelo Mandolin.

It's going to be okay.




Today...was FABULOUS.  As we made the transition from this:






And this



Aiden Snow Fort





To a balmy 65 degrees outside...sunshine...breezes and the promise of two more days just like it!  A tiny glimpse of Spring-To-Come!  And a laugh...as a friend of mine (Kim) immediately sent this

Which has to be from a former season




Yeah, I'm there.
It is going to be about a month and a half, though! My god..I can smell and taste them from here.

I am anxious to see how the sporing does this year. Did well with the grays last year and I have tried adding Goldens now. Also going to do Oyster and Button Mushrooms later...and maybe Shitakes.

I picked up the winter accumulations and will be top dressing roses and boxwoods over the weekend. Moving some of my tipped daffodils and bulbs into baskets and clay pots. Repotted my Cascading Juniper Pine Bonsai today. It is nearly 9 years old, now, while it is still dormant from winter...and seriously contemplating picking up an established Wisteria and bonsai (ing) it.  Would make a beautiful specimen plant.

Saw this...




And was completely smitten!

After researching the subject, it seems that Wisteria is fairly easy to train and lend well to bonsai. Have copper wire...I can do this!

I can't wait to see pictures of "George"- Idgy's Wisteria - when he blooms in Spring!

I have to bite the bullet and trim my Ficus Bonsai over the weekend before it is too late. It is starting to get taller and taller and leafing out into a small bush...
Looks nice, but kind of defeats the purpose of a bonsai when it gets 2 feet tall and bushy.

So looking forward to a dirt 'neath my nails and muddy (if chilly)  knees again, weekend.

No matter how many times I open the compost box after a Winter Season I am still amazed by all the coffee grounds, newspaper, straw, twigs, egg shells, Old Halloween Pumpkins and dead vegetation/vines that have transformed into rich black soil.

It's magic!

(no...it's decomposition...and red-worms)

So here is to a Taste of Early Spring-time.  



Have a Wonderful Weekend!