Monday, June 26, 2017

Almost Done

From this

To this


And finally adding the magma and waves


Now there is only a bit of spattering to be done with the waves in the back
and, of course, steam from vents and the magma hitting the water and such. 

I spent an inordinate amount of time on the black cooled lava building up layers to resemble the thick ropey cooled lava flows of Hawaii.

The flow of the hot magma was that Happy Accident I was talking about much earlier...before I had even mixed the magma colours. One night after working on the black I sat the canvas up before it was completely dried...the next morning there were runs...easily fixed...but then I realized I could use tilts and runs to get a realistic flow pattern with my magma. 

That Newton fellow was onto something!  Gravity Works!

Or maybe just "on something".

Anyway I mixed the flow colours...really globbed it on the canvas and tilted for a realistic flow pattern.

And to my extreme happiness the colours with the flow turned out looking fairly "thermal/hot"

Oh...and I mixed a pinch of sulphur power into the paint. So there is an olfactory side to it as well.  Hoping it tones down a bit after it dries overnight because now...well...The Shelby-Cat is squinting and the apartment smells a bit like a portal to HELL.

                                     "Thank God the SCREEN is open!"


Yeah...yeah...everybody's a damned critic...even the cat.

But happy with the progress today and hoping to finish it up by the 30th!

(addendum)

Mixed some of my black sand from Hawaii and ground larger bits of pumice to mix with the black acrylic for some realistic 3-D texture of cooling lava




(and a detail shot)

And, overall, pretty pleased with the effect. Going to go back and dry brush a few with magma.

Then it is finishing steam, surf and sealing and it is done!

addendum

and Fini




Going to take a week off after Hawaii (give or take a few days) and then start the next virtual adventure. One I have deliberately waited until the heat of July and August (here) to enjoy, and may finish out the virtual travel year here..


Sicily.

Itinerary soon...