Thursday, February 10, 2022

Virtual China: Sweet and Sour Pork

 


The #1 dish of Hong Kong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzu6E19sXSg

Step by step tutorial.

Fixed this last night with steamed jasmine rice and green beans.

...yes..I have a rice steamer...not entirely backwoods...you know...

I did the twice cook method with the pork of frying then baking. Not at all like the soggy take-away stuff. Nice satisfying crunchy coating with tender cooked pork inside that could hold up to the sauce well.

About the sauce.

I cheated.

....somehow I imagine Chinese-American places do, as well...

My sweet and sour sauce was jarred...but everything else was fresh and from scratch.

Turned out wonderful.

So much better than take-away, as everything was fresh and crisp. Stir fried the pineapple and green pepper.

The # 1 beverage in Hong Kong is a holdover from its time under British Rule (until 1997).  Black Tea with copious amounts of heavy cream. I added sugar, too.  The cream tends to take the bitter edge off the tea.  Very nice. 

Colonial.

Next we will explore one of Hong Kong's better sights.

Until then...