Friday, February 25, 2022

Virtual China: Taiwanese Tea Eggs

 

The photo above is NOT my eggs.

This is a stock photo...mine failed.

...will be trying again...

The Recipe:

Hard-boil several eggs.

Use a spoon to crack the shells outside, but do not remove.

Simmer cracked eggs in solution of black tea mixed with 5 Spice Seasoning.

Remove and store in refrigerator in solution for 1-3 days.

...I only left mine overnight...this may be the problem...

After which, when peeled, they are suppose to look like this.


 ...mine did not...

They are rubbery and have a distinctive savory smell. I hesitate to use the word good to describe the flavor...perhaps interesting is more accurate. The texture was very off-putting.

These must be an acquired taste.

The #1 street food of Taiwan.

I will post pictures if my second attempt works out.

 

Until then... 

 

TAH DAH!