Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Virtual SA: The Volcano Hike Part II

 

Good Morning!

Beans, again...happy to say that we have survived our night on the side of a live volcano.

Spent a long time last night just watching the lava and fire-show.


and nibbling on my chocolate....which did NOT melt in the 90+ degree heat during yesterday's climb!

Maybe not the best chocolate...but certainly the most efficient.

Palo was right about the cold last night.

From so hot you're dumping water over you on the climb up...to teeth-chatteringly...put on everything you brought with you...cold.

And all night the sounds of the volcano...like a breathing living beast. Rumblings...explosions..popping.

Clear and still chilly this morning...and Palo pops by to let me know breakfast is nearly done.

There is bacon and toast...and coffee...and more fresh fruit than you could ever eat!  Juices.

A feast.

We are instructed to wear light clothes on the way down as today is suppose to be scorching hot. 

The wet wipes are invaluable to clean up after yesterday, and the black grit and dirt which seems to have permeated everything.

I will be throwing away these socks. 

Even TIDE couldn't fix this.

At last...everything stowed away...we begin our descent.

Trickier than it sounds...as the sides are steep and the grit is slippery.

It takes much less time going down.

When we reach the first steppe...I am still comfortable and full from our breakfast. By the second one I am hot...and ravenous.

I even treat myself to a glass of wine to celebrate the hike.

Okay...it was actually served in a plastic disposable cup...but still!

And soon...just like that...we have reached base...and the adventure is over.

I tip Palo and thank him for safely getting me up and down the mountain...and it is still early...and I board the little shuttle-bus affair back to wander around Antigua a bit before leaving for El Salvador.


 
 


 

 

 

Until next time,

Love,

         "Beans"