Saturday, November 28, 2015

The REAL "Reason for the Holiday Season"...Turkey...and discovering an Author





















                                                           "Busted"
                               And I can't believe he actually eats these!






Family!  

The REAL Blessing behind the Holidays...no matter what you celebrate.


And that morning's "Calm Before the Storm" before everyone arrived.

General consensus being that the main thing we were THANKFUL for that afternoon was Pizza for Dinner instead of more turkey...lol! And all being together again!

It's so wonderful to have almost all my Grands in one big group.

Happy Chaos! 

If Preston could have made it, it would have been Perfect!

About the turkey.  Rolling out noodles to accompany a bit more of it today...maybe tucking a little in with veggies and a white cream sauce beneath a crust for Sunday...and freezing the rest.  I think Butterball may single-handedly hold the key to eliminating World Hunger.  Saving some of the broth in ice cube trays to pop out into freezer bags for use later, as well. Later, in the midst of ice and snow, hot turkey vegetable soup will sound appealing again.

But not today...

Spent part of Wednesday camping out in my local library's periodical room...catching up on the monthly glossies and picking up some reading for the weekend.

What I FOUND was a (new to me) Author.

The discovery of a new author is much like poking your finger in a box of assorted chocolates after the cheat-sheet has long since gone missing.This one too sticky...this one is gel...bleah...coconut...so you poke and poke away...finally finding that one...the one you were looking for all along. I picked up two books of short stories for the holiday weekend. It was only after I was settled in my chair

(which really isn't a chair at all...but the end of a short love-seat where I like to curl beneath a soft leopard throw with a cup of ginger peach tea and read) 

that I realized that both books are by the same guy. I had never heard of him and didn't expect much. Three stories in- I am hooked. An Indiana author...and don't you know I love those. The John Green types who paint me a picture of places I grew up. Know. So when he is describing that booth at Steak and Shake at 96th Street, I know it...because I have sat there myself.

Yes...this week I poked at the candies and came up with Dark Chocolate Raspberry Cream Filled. One of my favorite sweets.

The Author: Michael Martone

The Short Story Compilations:

Four For a Quarter

Double-Wide

Although he is now teaching at the University of Alabama, the flavor of Indiana (and at times neighboring Illinois) trickle throughout his essays like warm sorgum or boil't down maple sap. 

A little further research revealed he has a serious body of work. I have found 25 other books available, so far...both fiction and non-fiction.

 Martone may compose most of my Winter Reading list!


Can't say enough good things about this writer. Give him a try! 
You might just be hooked, too.

So...in addition the skipping Black Friday...I have decided to take an oh-so-slow weekend.  Not bringing the Christmas Stuff out until Monday. Just going to enjoy the last bit of Fall smells and decor and such. Work on the Holiday cards. Eat. Nap. Read. Enjoy a long bubble bath. Sleep in.

More anon...

Have a Great Weekend!