Saturday, July 16, 2016

Turkey Survives Coup Attempt...The Cicadias Have Arrived...and Preparing for Virtual Scotland



So after a rather rowdy night...The Turkish Government says

"We've GOT this." (note the tank)

and also added that those participating in the failed coup would be penalized. I am sure that means an entirely different thing than the penalties we impose here in The States.

                        "American Gated Bed and Breakfast Incarceration"


                                                "Turkish Prison"

I must admit breathing a small sign of relief, though,  as I don't want to see the whole thing fall into a Domino Effect with Putin involved, Then Us involved...then BAM...another damned war on our hands. 

So today-

The Cicadis arrived...er...returned. Red-eyed, loud and loathsome. No, not your drunk uncle...but just as annoying.

The Maples, Black Locusts, Pines ( and ground) are scattered with moulted shells and the treetops are clattering. You have to appreciate their timing. One tree full will sing their song...and then it will work its way to the next and the next one in kind of a loud Cicadan Wave.

(listen for yourself)

https://youtu.be/mah26og11ms

Now imagine this noise times 1000 or so. In the trees just behind your house.

Yeah...it's like that.

And if you are outside chatting with a friend, it does absolutely no good to raise your voice. They simply adjust their own decibel level.
It is uncanny, really.  All the bug-eaters seem thrilled. The annual smorgasbord is open!

Happy that Mayes took a little extra time wandering Scotland and prepping for my own Virtual Scotland to begin Monday!

Scotland Itinerary:

I want to see a traditional Scottish stone house like Mayes describes in her rental.

I want to try Oatcakes.

I want to learn about some of the geology of the region and procure a piece of Basalt.

I want to learn some of the Scottish Slang and Gaelic Language.

I want to try my hand at making Scotch Whiskey.  Just a wee bit. I have already tried both Glen Livet and Glen Fiddich in the past. Or maybe just some Stout.


I want to discover Glasgow.

I want to try some of the Scottish Dishes she prepared and share some recipes. I also am going to try Haggis (tinned) for my very first time. EVER.  And perhaps my last...

I want to see Highland Cows...and maybe taste Highland Beef if available.

I want to check out the innumerable castles, ruins of abbeys, lochs, and gardens.

I want to read about the lore of Nessie in Loch Ness.

I want to learn a bit about St. Andrew (Patron St. of Scotland)

I want to explore Autchermuchy.

I want to read some poetry by Robert Burns. Want to Create a Robert Burns Dinner.

I want to try a real bagpipe if possible...or at the very least understand how one works and hear some Scottish Music.

I want to learn about the Scottish Clans and the Tartans (plaids) they used to identify themselves.

I want to make Susan's Mother's Summer Pudding (using blackberries)


I want to explore Glamis Castle and grounds.

I want to explore the outlying Islands. Especially the Shetland Islands. 

I want to try a bit of Scottish Tablet Sweet.

And I want to try to confine the virtual trip to a month's time. I have turned two fellow writer/unable to travel distances any more on to the wonders that is Virtual Travel, and we are set for a small group adventure to Greece in mid-August together. I will be following Mayes footsteps pretty closely witha few deviations to accompany group travel.

May see if "Idgy" wants to join us, as well! We haven't set off on a good virtual adventure for a while!

So there is that. 

Finishing up here for a completely Zen Sunday.

Have a Wonderful Weekend!













               Glasgow at Night