Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Novel The Plan: Thoughts- Steve Drossinger: The Shel Team Leader



As the head of The Shel Program I am quite apprehensive releasing Mark at this time.

That, and a few dollars,  will get you a cup of coffee, I suppose. 

The Project seems to have spiralled entirely out of my hands. The General is calling the shots, and whatever he says, the shrink backs him all the way.

Since the Conference, the book and movie deal even the rest of the team seems starry eyed. They have lost focus of what is important here. Mark, and his adjustment. Survival beyond the controlled environment of the VA Hospital or this program.

The Exo-shel has undoubtedly made an enormous difference in his quality of life and allowed him to regain a level of independence. I have no doubt that his accommodations at General Davises will be outstanding and we have trained Mr. Gentry to take care of his day to day needs.  My concerns are not so much based on what he says...but instead what he doesn't say.

He is so close to release, and yet I am seeing a reluctance in his day to day performance. He drags along on simple tasks with which he had previously excelled. The Occupational Therapist validates my concerns. He changes the subject rapidly when one of the team even mentions the fact that next week he will be home. Then reminds the team that he won't be going home, he will, in fact, be living at The General's home.

 There is a flicker of fear that lets me know that inside he is not as stable. Not as okay as everyone insists.

The past week he has been obsessively talking about winning his ex-wife over. Getting his family back together.

When I attempted to discuss my concerns with Doctor Troy they were soundly dismissed.

The General walked out of the room the moment I mentioned it.

It seems they all have their own agenda. Even with the rest of my team. Mark, himself, seems to not be the priority any more. 

I find that disquieting.

Doctor Troy went so far as to suggest that maybe I was trying to delay Mark's release for my own egotistical reasons. I found his assessment both unfair and outrageous. I have spent a number of years of my life trying to give this unfortunate man back his life. Nothing will make me happier when he can be home. I just believe this rush to release is not in Mark's best interest.

Another unsettling observation I have made is that Doctor Troy seems to be following The General's lead now...and for some reason the doctor is very anxious and uncomfortable with him.

I find that very odd.