Monday, February 13, 2017

Planning (Virtual) Alaska



Left with only 2 States in the US to explore.
Alaska and Hawaii.

47 States I hiked and explored in Real Time.

1 (Maine) I explored virtually after losing my ability to travel Real Time. I don't feel like I missed a thing. Saw and tried everything I wanted to see and try.

So today making the preparations to take a month and a few days in Alaska (virtually)

Bill and I had often discussed a cruise there once the boys were grown. 

I want to experience the cruise aspect and all it has to offer...but also want to see the interior of the state and the railway tour.

(Virtual) Alaskan Itinerary

I want to experience the Alaskan Cruise Ship Routine (including the food and entertainment)

I want to see glaciers, icebergs and see/hear icebergs calving

I want to whale watch.

I want to see the Wolves, Brown Bears, Reindeer, Moose and Polar Bears. (Basically the fauna...and maybe the flora of the state...)

I want to learn about the Klondike Gold Rush and PAN some Alaskan Paydirt (gold)

I want to see The Northern Lights in Alaska.

I want to see The Stars and Night sky in Alaska.

I want to experience Rail Travel in Alaska and Alaska by Bush Plane.

I want to see Anchorage, Juneau, Fairbanks,and Nome.

I want to see dogsleds, sled dogs (and maybe the Iditarod)

I want to see the Aleutian Islands (and maybe do a re-read of Island of the Blue Dolphins, which I loved as a girl)

I want to see (virtual trek) Denali.

I want to learn about the Tlingit and Aleut (indigenous people)

I want to sample some of the local dishes and/or try some of the crafts.

And whatever else presents itself between now and April. 

Alaska is immersed in darkness from November until January. It is April before the tourists arrive in swarms. Since it is my plan to spend my birth-month (April) immersed in (also Virtual) Hawaii...thought I would enjoy Alaska in the interm.


Tomorrow we will begin!


 More Anon...