Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Bannera de Sicilia...The Trinacria...and Painting Sicily



The Flag of Sicily is bisected on the diagonal with the colours red (signifying Palermo) and yellow (for Corleone).  The Trinacria.pronouned: Tri-nacree-ah (which was also the Ancient name of Sicily) in the middle is made up of three bent legs signifying the triangular shape of the island...three heads of wheat as a nod to Sicily's agriculture...and Gorgon (The Winged Medusa Head) signifying the Protection of the Island.

It became the official flag of Sicily in 2000.

The Trinacria image is found everywhere. On walls...gates...clothing...and trinkets sold to throngs of tourists. Even tattoos.























So many things left to see on this rocky island, but I have already made my choice for my painting. What says SICILY to me.

The Olive Groves.

It will be a variation on this



 with more of a morning light feel and definitely older ( gnarled and twisted) trees.

When I look at these centuries-old olives I am reminded that like Sicily herself...who has been conquered over and over and still managed to hold tradition and sense of self...these groves are survivors. Perhaps not classically beautiful...more gnarled and twisted...but rooted deep and still standing for the better part of a thousand years.

Yes.

These Olive Groves ARE Sicilia.

The painting...little more than a morning sky currently.

Personally,  I blame Salvo Montalbano.



Since finding 26 Episodes from Europe's MZT...already I'm hooked on Sicilian TV.   Not binge-watching...but I have been doing one episode a night since I found it! Completely in Sicilian with an all Sicilian Cast it is thankfully closed-captioned in English.

Already, I am recognizing phrases and often repeated words.  Much like reading Burgess'  A Clockwork Orange...and then realizing, by the middle of the book, you are no longer flipping to the back to decipher the Russian Slang...but have come to read and understand it.

a'domani...ciao...