Saturday, December 8, 2018

...bodhi...



Bodhi.

A day of silent reflection...on buddhism...compassion...relationships...loving-kindness...gratitude...life.

So why...during morning meditation...after 11 years...is my mind jumping and swinging from thought to thought like a monkey on monkey-bars (on crack).

This morning of all mornings?

Such is life.

So busy thinking about the next thing we need to do or have planned we miss NOW.


Some deep breathing and closing my eyes and eventually got the little hairy intruder centered...and me, too.

16 days until Christmas in case you wondered....You're Welcome.

There is John's Birthday and Our Time...Our (Lisa and Tina and I) Sister's Day (which may include Cousins this time)...And Our (Diane and Judy and newcomer to our group, Brenda) Bloomington Trip...smack dab in the middle of it all.

Oh...and Christmas...did I mention Christmas?

But today is Bodhi. Time to remember the Buddha and Enlightenment. To FOCUS. 

(...and not for focusing on the next three weeks...)

Okay...meditation was a disaster...sometimes it is...there is always tonight.

That whole "picture your thought like inner-tubes swirling down a lazy river"...no...somehow my inner-tubes were stuck in the middle of an 8 lane LA Freeway...and it was rush hour...okay?

Damned monkey-mind anyway.

Broke my fast with Brown rice, butter and cream, and a dab of Fig Jam.

Listened to a few of my favorite motivational speakers (Will Smith, Matthew McConaughey, Morgan Freeman)

Did my daily workout.

Continued my journal with today's 3 things I am grateful for...a habit I started a couple years back and continue every day.

and worked on this missive.

I call it

                                  
 The Budda Jesus Christ 

Before you close this page in disgust...let me explain...raised Pentecostal in the 1960's and early 1970's I get it. I WAS you..okay.

When I first embraced Buddhism I wasn't any better. In fact I was worse.

Mr. Detro (an Evangelical Christian I knew) accosted me in front of a local convenience store and presented me with a Chick Tract.


(...if you've never encountered one of these evangelical gospel booklets...the gist is what horrors will happen to you if you don't follow their religious persuasion...)

Instead of smiling...wishing him blessings of the day...taking the 3x4 inch booklet and relegating it to the compost bin later in the day  which would have been beneficial to growing tomatoes and peppers and such-

No. I was rude. Handed it back.
Smug.
So rude.

"I am a Buddhist" I proclaimed.
 Trying the name on for size, I think.

(...at that exact moment I was as far from being a buddhist as a pig is from the moon...)

It took me a few years to realize that Buddhism means embracing all others...not feigning some air of superiority.

So, yeah,  I get it.

"How DARE she associate Buddha with Our Lord."

There are a great number of misconceptions about Buddhism. Probably the biggest being that somehow we "worship" a statue.

The statue in my home only reminds me to be Buddha-like. To be mindful. To aspire to...stay focused.  I miss many times...so many times...but I keep practicing.

The second huge misconception is that Buddha is a GOD. And that there is only The Buddha.

Everyone has the capacity of a Buddha.

There are many many many Buddhas...both now and past.

Think in terms of wisdom, compassion, loving-kindness.

Some well known...

Ghandi...Mother Teresa, Dali Lama, MLK Jr., JFK, and yes...even Jesus.

Some maybe not so well known...

A local firefighter, clergyman, police officer.

Or perhaps just your Grandmother or Grandfather.

Buddhas are everywhere...if only we take the time to see them, and learn from them. 

With much learning and practice...even us.

Until then we are bodhisattva..."practicing"...on the path of buddhahood.

For today...I celebrate, not a god, but a man's enlightment and the path he gave to us.

It is up to us to make our way.


Namaste! 






 





It is worth noting that there are many sects of Buddhism...much like Christianity.
Every one has slightly different rules/beliefs.