Monday, August 12, 2019

Virtual AT: Pennsylvania Cove Mountain to Peters Montain Shelter


"Beans..again!"

With yesterday's view from Cove Mountain.

I'd show you today's but SURPRISE...it is raining....again.

(...it rains so much up here that the real surprise is when you get a sunny beautiful day...)

It is 73 degrees, though..so that is nice...and most of the trail is stony now...not muddy...so there is that.

And I received a startling revelation from an unlikely source last night.

His trail-name: Caribou.  Tall, dark-haired, lanky and angular, half my age with a scruff of a beard and deep liquid brown eyes.

The evening, much cooler at a more comfortable 68 degrees...a bunch of us had built a fire to sit around by the shelter.

Did I mention that Caribou was one of those insufferable SOBO (Southbounders...who start at Maine and end their trek in Georgia)

When we started discussing the cool off...and the appearance we had noticed of the yellowing of the leaves as they prepared for Fall...Caribou chimed in...

I had had ENOUGH.

"Yeah...Yeah...I KNOW..." I stated rudely. "I ain't SEEN nothing yet."

He shut up and looked like a large puppy that someone had whacked on the nose with a rolled up newspaper.

I was feeling pretty smug about cutting the admonishment off at the pass.

Then, as the group dwindled smaller and smaller...and sounds of snoring could be heard from some of the closer tents and shelters...

Caribou joined me again beside the fire.

 "I didn't mean anything before..." he started.

"It is just that by now...in Maine...it is already in the 50's...and dropping lower at night."

Already Fall. 
In early August.

All of my previous smugness evaporated...and I apologized...then I listened. Really listened.

I was anticipating reaching Katahdin by mid to late October.

I quickly realized that would be impossible.

Even late September would really be pushing it, and there would be frigid temperatures, snow flying and on the ground and rocks, and slushy creeks to ford.

Oh FUCK.

That my tee-shirts and jeans and current sleeping bag would not be enough. Even if I had everything I currently carried on at the same time.

It was sobering. 

By the time we covered the fire and parted ways I realized a couple of things.

I needed to get a move on and no...I really hadn't seen ANYTHING yet.

But today...rain and all...we need to put some miles on. And this morning as Caribou departed I wished him luck on the journey to Springer Mountain and knew I would never look at the SOBO hikers as "absolutely annoying" ever again.

Onward to Hawk Rock.


Trail to Hawk Rock.



 On the bright side...the rain has stopped!

Hawk Rock Overlook

 View from Hawk Rock

Video

https://youtu.be/MklGtW06XXI

(...and an aside to show you how amazing that people who love this trail can really be...)


 This vandalism happened in 2018.

This guy along with other Appalachian Trail Volunteers worked together and returned Hawk Rock to its pristine beauty.

(...kind of restores one's faith in humanity...)

Another view from the top






and we continue down the trail toward

Clarks Ferry Bridge over the Susquehanna River

View From The Bridge




Maybe a little disappointing because this used to be the Bridge


In days-of-old.
Now replaced by this...

Reminding us EVERYTHING changes.

Past the Clarks Ferry Shelter

Where we can stop for a brief snack and the rain...which seems to be playing leapfrog with us.

And discuss Trail Snacks.

Here is part of the assortment I am carrying, trying and sometimes even enjoying, on our virtual adventure.

Having already tried and discussed with you the overall nastiness of Clif Bars.

Overpriced...waxy...and did I mention NASTY???


From Archers Farm...the sea salted almonds, roasted almonds and cashew cranberry almond trail mix packs...roughly 170  calories...very satisfying and good.

The Kashi Honey Almond Flax Bar....er...not so tasty. Waxy and excuse me...don't they make clothing out of FLAX?

The Sweet and Salty Granola Bar.  Sweet and Salty. Almonds and Granola dipped in yogurt. What is NOT to love!  Very nice.

Murgerbons Honey Butter Almonds.  BLEAH. Take a hard pass.  Sounds delicious...tastes disgusting.  You have been warned.

and my favorite...Quaker's new Chewy Chocolate Brownie-licious granola bars...with real chunks of rich dark chocolate throughout.
OMG..Good.

And, as always, the Thru-Hikers Mainstay

I also like Peanut M&M's...and they are less likely to melt in hot weather.

(...on the trail real time you might go through a dozen of these a day...plus meals...but since this is virtual I try to limit this to one tasty treat per blog...) 

(...also all information about the day's weather and trail conditions are accurate and provided by Whiteblaze.net...)

The rain appears to be breaking and on we go...

Approaching the PA 225 Footbridge

Back into bright sunshine and 73 degrees.

And on our way to Table Rock.



 Table Rock


The View



Video

https://youtu.be/LKP0ggHLLWw

and only 3 miles now until we will stop for the day.

Hike from Duncannon to Peters Mountain Shelter with "Ringo"

https://youtu.be/XaFne9qqPcw 

And a good reason why this section is known as "Rocksylvania"

The Peters Mountain Shelter





A HILTON compared to the old shelter now residing at the Appalachian Museum, that we saw.

Remember it???

Off the trail early and thinking pasta tonight!

Love,

"Beans"