Saturday, August 8, 2020

Premature Fall...Third Generation Car Guys...Camping and More


I KNOW we need to get through August before I start decorating for Fall.

But, sooooooooooooooooooo hard to do when the temps have dropped in the low 70's and it is 55 degrees at night...and the crows wake me up most mornings now with their incessant caws...and the skies have attained that beautiful clear blue.

I have already fixed the first small batch of Grandpa's Chili.

But rules are rules- and going to enjoy this last month of Summer, if it kills me.

The pink roses now full blown and beautiful.

My herbs huge and soon to be brought in to dry.


Sofi enjoying some of her fresh catnip.

She is such a Nip-Head.

Chris and the Guys made it back from their First Annual Friends Camping Adventure.





A week of fishing, boating, camping, good food and fun!

Coming home to make Survival Bracelets (equipped with fire-starter, fishhooks and line, medical supplies and such rolled tightly and then woven into many feet of paracord) for everyone.




Just black with just an emergency pack of M&M's for me, please...lol!

John has been out enjoying this beautiful weather, too.

Biking and getting some fishing in, as well!



Panorama of his
Fishing Hole.


His grandson obviously has The Car Guy Gene, too...bringing home this 81 Vette to fix up, from Ohio...



Complete with T-Top and chrome straight pipes.

John sent me a video with sound of it running and she is beastly!!!

Nice project car!

In the news

Wilfred Brimley passed away .





and the astronauts returned from the International Space Station compliments of a joint effort by NASA and SPACEX

And you have to appreciate the first words they heard upon splashdown

"Thank you for flying SPACEX."

I laughed out loud.


And some things this week...not so humorous.

The return of the students to packed schools and already a surge in Covid cases.


 And the beginning of Bike Week at Sturgis.

Expecting 250,000 this year.

How could THAT possibly go wrong, eh????


 Don't get me wrong. I think Bike Week is great...but not this year.

Not in the middle of a Pandemic.

Worldwide over 19 and a half million infections now.

Over 725,000 people dead.

Here in The States over 5 million cases and 164,000 dead.

Some hoax.

Trump still predicting it will magically disappear...go away...

(...it should be noted he has been saying this now since March...)

sigh

My state now has a mask mandate and most everything is canceled through Fall.

Bright red state, be damned...our governor has done a fine job of being sensible about moving slowly on reopening.

Gardening,  Basking, The Resumation of the Outreach Program and Current Books, Recipes and Cooking, and Painting is saving my sanity.

Jill (Lennon's Bio-Mom) and I are embarking soon on Fall Paintings together.

Hers set in New England where they have absolutely breath-taking Autumns.

Mine will be in Indiana with pumpkin-fields, pumpkins, Maple trees and Sycamores, perhaps.

We will see.

No new movies this week...but

The Book of the Week:



A cookbook filled with one dish (beneath a flaky pie crust) meals.

Some great ideas for Fall and Winter!

Both a Fast Day and a Cinderella Day, here.

Out for some sunshine and a quick bask...then back to start a pot of soup and get the laundry and cleaning done.

Have a Relaxing Weekend!















PostScript:

I'm a Nurse, dammit, not a Hairdresser!

Yeah...so I got tired of the grown out...overgrown...salted caramel that I has professionally done last Fall...

(you see where this is going, right???)

"How hard can frosting be???"

I pondered.

Yeah.

So there I stood in front of the mirror with the dotted cap and the crochet hook included in the box of highlighter...when I got satisfied with what the box said would be face framing highlights, I mixed the noxious goop and put it on.

Sofi fled the room...wanting no part of the fumes, or possibly  just the blame. 

About 50 minutes later I shampooed it all out.

It isn't the tiger-striped streak of some truly bad dye jobs.

I guess I should be thankful for that.

It is still pretty bad.

The caramel highlights are just that...caramel...no salt to it.

It will possibly look better styled...still damp...too early to tell.

When my stylist opens back up I will go for a cut and salted caramel frosting again...as soon as she stops shaking her head and laughing at my misguided efforts.

I learned a valuable lesson today...some things are best left to the professionals.

More anon...