Sunday, August 14, 2016

St. Andrew...The Ruins of St. Andrew's Cathedral...Stout...and Plans for The Virtual Greece and The Greek Isles









A Galilean, and a brother to Saint Peter, he was a coastal fishermen there. He preached along the edges of the Black Sea...and brought the first foreigners to meet Jesus.

 (Yes, THAT St. Peter)

Having St. Andrews as the Scot's Patron Saint also fulfilled a deeper more pressing political solution. Because he was brother to Peter, Founder of The Church, the Scots were able to request the backing of The Pope against the assorted English kings that were always trying to conquer them.

In 500 years, King Angus of The Picts would have a prophetic dream and upon waking just before battle- once again see the Saltire Cross in his visions. The Saltire Cross was the cross St. Andrew was crucified on.


The battle was won, and the rest is history. The Saltire Cross became the heralding arms that every Scot was allowed to bear. In fact, in the 1300's it was mandatory for a while.


And from that time until this...St. Andrew has been the Patron Saint of Scotland.


Located in Fife, Scotland are the ruins of the Saint Andrew's Cathedral build between 1127 - 1144.  Today all that remains is the crumbling stonework and chest high tombstones standing silent sentry.













Tour of St. Andrew's Ruins and Graveyard

https://youtu.be/rTuJ-0Rq77I

And it is here I will end the tour of Scotland, enjoy the last bite of Butter Tablet, bid Scotland "Guidbye", and set sights on the next Virtual Adventure in "A Year in the World"

I've moved the Stout from Steeping and Softening to a largish carboy for fermentation now in in a month or so it will be beer.


Onward to Greece and the Greek Islands!





Itinerary 

I want to explore:

Corfu 

Cyprus

Hydra 

Thebes 

Delphi (particularly the Ruins of Delphi)

Santorini

Crete 

Sparta and Athens Greece


I want to experience Greek Music and Dance

I want to explore the myths of The Greek Gods and learn about some of them.

I want to learn a few basic Conversational Phrases in Greek

I want to drink Retsina Wine and flame Saganaki (out at a good Greek Restaurant..no towering flaming Saganaki at home...and what would you do with the leftover Ouzo anyway???)

I want to bake Baklava, make Glyka tou koutaliou ( a sweet suggested by Sharon, who actually lived in Greece for a while), Moussaka, Tiropita, Spanakopita, and Roast lamb kebabs. And try to make Avgolemono soup. Again. My first attempt ever turned out much more of a solid. The overall consistency of mashed potatoes.

I want to have figs and honey, black olives and set a bunch of dark blue grapes out in the heat to warm...and eat them with Feta cheese and bake a loaf of Peasant Rosemary Bread to drizzle with warm olive oil.  

I want to re-read Jason and the Argonauts. I have long since given up on Joyce's Ulysses...lol. I want to read some Homer. Maybe The Odyssey. Different writers same story...

I want to re-read Ithka.

I want to buy a Drachma and perhaps a bit of Lapis Lazuli set in silver. Maybe a ring.

I want to taste Greek Wildflower Honey

I want to see and sail the Aegean Sea. Even if I do have to do it on You Tube.

I want to pull out a canvas and attempt to paint the Cube white buildings and blue domes of Santorini...capture the light...preferably on a hot day (al fresco) on the patio with the bread, cheese, figs and a glass of water with fresh lemon slices beside me and Greek Music playing in the background.

Doesn't everyone?

I'll stay as long as it takes  :)

We set (virtual) sail tomorrow!

More anon...