Monday, December 9, 2013

Bodhi



Not a Messiah surrounded by Mary and Joseph and a menagerie of livestock and wise men in a manger...or a chubby fellow in a red suit dispersing gifts beneath a brightly decorated pine. No songs or carols. Or menorahs or dreidels or potato latkes. Not even a yule log.

Today as a Zen Buddhist I observe Bodhi.

This is the day set aside as the day The Buddha achieved Enlightenment. One day I believe I will reach my own Bodhi. Although much closer on the path...sadly...not today. Until then I will practice. And practice. And be grateful for the lessons sent my way each day.


It is a day marked by Meditation and Mindfulness. The Present (though not gift-wrapped or beribboned) is of course "The Present"  (gift) and all I must do is embrace it.

Focus.

Be Mindful.

Gratitude and Compassion.

It is a lot more difficult than it must sound. 

Not sequestered in a cloister or retreat today. Just right here in the middle of Life...which doesn't take a break for silliness like Bodhi. There are toys to buy and gifts to wrap for little ones who wait for Santa. There are Christmas Cards and Season's Greetings to finish for friends and family. There is food to buy and prepare for our evening meal. And dishes to wash and put away. All before evening meditation.


My favorite quote by Buddha

"Before Enlightenment- Chop Wood and Carry Water....After Enlightenment also Chop Wood and Carry Water."


Wishing you love and light...this Bodhi :)
  
                                                          Namaste