Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Last Cup of 2013





Bidding adieu to 2013.

A fairly nice little year, actually. To and from family and friends. Punctuated with a wedding and my newest grand-baby on the way. A more beautiful than usual Spring and Fall and a mild summer. Flowers and expanding the garden and beds. New roses and ripe strawberries for jam. Putting up pickled banana peppers and bread and butter pickles. A beach getaway with my "bestie" where we experienced some of the best Tiramisu in the States, and flying to an amazing DS Gathering at Carol's in Pennsylvania. And flying Dave in from the UK. A special treat. Too many great books and movies to name this year. Loads of new recipes and the bag lady starter kit which has bloomed into slouch boots and Infinity scarves and eyebrow pencil. The 5:2 or Fast Diet which has helped me drop 25 pounds and two sizes...all while enjoying cupcakes, butter and homemade breads! A keeper.  

And new clothes in shades of creams and browns and greens to celebrate the new body!

Or at least the return of my pre-children waistline...

Publishing the first book in the Zen Living Trilogy last April...and hoping to finish and have the second in print by next April.





And with winter...a return to the keyboard. Too much to do/explore/enjoy Spring through Fall to get serious about a manuscript...but winter...with below freezing temps...snow piled on the windowsill...hot tea in one of my favorite bone china cups or a mug of hot chocolate...homemade soup bubbling on the stove and a round loaf of crusty bread baking in the oven...Tucker-Cat curled in a snoring black and white heap nearby...now that is the stuff of getting some writing accomplished!

The sought-after writer's retreat in Barcelona or the South of France or Sunny California when it is 75 degrees and the Pacific Ocean beckons would never work for me. It would have to be a snowbound cabin in Maine or Michigan or a cold rainy day in London. Otherwise the temptations would be too great.  

A glance back at my resolutions for the year...all pretty much kept. Looking forward to opening and reading the Moments from my 2013 Jar tonight. 365 0f the best "moments" of 2013.

                                           


The best thing about the Moments Jar this year was choosing the BEST moment from each day. 
Being mindful of how good life really is.





Sorting through the Moments is eye-opening

 Many centering around the weather/season change/firsts or the gardens.

"The first Robin of Spring chirping happily outside my window as I wake up"

"Tonight, I saw the first firefly flit by"

"A Warm Misty Morning Rain"

"Sitting outside in the rocker with Tucker feeling the electricity in the air as the storm brews."

"Three fresh inches of snow"

"The beautiful Fall colours"

Some are concerning political issues.

"Today marked the turnover of  DOMA and Proposition 8"

Many marked time or celebrated friends and family.

"James and Nicki got married today"

"Only 62 more days until Pennsylvania"

"Idgy and I, on the TOP of the Ferris Wheel"

"Today is ___________'s birthday"

"Today we met Dave from the UK at the Gathering!"

"Chris and Tina are back together!"

Quite a few were just sensory.

"122 MPH in the Chally...OMG!!!"

"Wrapped in warm towels- soft and fuzzy from the dryer- is anything nicer?"

"A tiny baby's laughter filling the library while I am reading, making me smile"

A few mentioned the 5:2 Diet indirectly.

"Made it through my first Fast and enjoying a chocolate cupcake for breakfast"

"Today I have lost a stone (14 pounds) "

"I can DO this! 125 pounds by next April!"

"End of the year and 25 pounds and two sizes smaller!"

And more than a few had to do with recipes and food. You know me.

"One PERFECT soft boiled egg."

"This morning's Raspberry Crepes"

"Is there anything better than  fresh veggie soup from the garden?"

Some were affirmations.

 "I can DO anything!"

"Enough"

"We can choose to start over again"

"Today I learned that Ithkah was here inside all along"

Or reassurances

"Everything is going to be okay."

"This too shall pass."  (and apparently it did...because when I unfolded and read this one I have no idea what the crisis du jour  even was. )

"A Light at the End of the Tunnel" (assumably not a train)

And one of my favorite moments...just an ordinary day taking the transit. Depauw had just started back and there were probably 30 new Chinese college students on it. A trip to the market for provisions in their new dorm.

"A bus full of chattering students board the bus. Crow black hair gleaming,slight and angular. Their faces buddha-like and their voices mingle in a birdsong of Chinese. I smile and close my eyes for that second- I could be riding a bus in busy Hong Kong  :) "

The best part of the Moments Jar is ( with the singular exception of a blue scrap which simply reads)

"The Keurig Coffee-Maker"

that the best moments of my year have centered around people or experiences. Proving what I've known all along.
 Happiness in life is rarely about things.   

Well...except that coffee-maker of course.




Learning each day what they mean by "a practicing Buddhist"...in fact I think I have come to the realization that no matter what we are or do in life (Buddhist or not)...we are all just practicing...and practicing...and practicing. 

And sometimes we actually make some progress. 

And the de-clutter and clean thing...it appears to be eternal...kind of like laundry, as "Idgy" would laugh.

And the Proactive Finances...an absolute sanity-saver. And always an extra $50. or so to make someone else's day a bit brighter. It is incredible how blessed you feel when you finally realize that whatever you have...is ENOUGH.

(...having said that...whoever invented the Keurig Coffee System should be canonized...)

Best find of the YEAR.
Thanks, Carol!

So approaching the up-coming year with a pile of TBR books...two manuscripts I am working on...and one that I am editing.  The newest grand baby's quilt to be completed before the first week on May and several soup recipes that i am looking forward to trying.

Looking forward to "Idgy" and I ringing in the New Year with noise-makers...cold shrimp and baked pretzel rolls...a cheese tray and dark chocolate covered cherries...confetti and Bellinis!


Bellini Recipe:

4 ounces champagne (Asti or for alcohol free the Sparkling White Grape Juice)

2 ounces puréed peaches with nectar

Pour pureed peach and nectar in champagne flute.

Top slowly with champagne.

Garnish with a candied cherry or slice of fresh peach.







Enjoy...and I'll see everyone next year!

(((hugs)))