Monday, April 25, 2016

The Plan...

I have decided to go with the Original Working Title (The Plan) for my Fiction Novel. It is the Writing Prompt that gave birth to first the Essay and now the Novel. Additionally, as I write the manuscript it seems appropriate because it seems within each character is budding "a plan" of their own...

When last we left our ragtag assortment of flawed characters, Jerry had just committed suicide after his interview with Dr. Richard Troy (the psychiatrist). Apparently having implemented "his plan".

That is where we pick up...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


[  It appears I will be on the opposite side of the desk, today.   The Couch, in layman's terms. Homicide Investigative Detective, Louis Brink, will be doing an interview with me as part of his on-going investigation of the demise of one Gerald L. Black.  Trying to tie up this case...loose ends, actually.  He assures me the interview is more of a formality, and thanks me for my time. Earlier this week a patient of mine left my office and as far as anyone can discern committed suicide with a revolver. The revolver in question belonged to a former friend of his, and a current patient of mine Sgt. Mark Cole. I have offered my assistance in any manner possible to help expedite the investigation. That brings us to today. ]

[ Detective Brink is a squat man with calloused hands, bad teeth and worse breath. He gives one the appearance of an English Bulldog in a suit. His hair is oiled and parted to the side and he stinks of Brut.  He asks that I state my name for the record. And our interview begins]


"Out of the ordinary that day?  Jerry...er...sorry...Mr. Black seemed a bit more anxious than usual."

"No..he was exactly on time, as usual, he was quite punctual."

"His main concern seemed to be patient confidentiality. We were discussing a sensitive marital issue."

"I assured him, of course that anything we discussed would not be mentioned outside this office. It is a matter of Federal law now."

"He seemed relieved. More relaxed. No, I do not believe the Blacks were discussing divorce in any fashion. I am sure he would have mentioned it."

"No, I do not, in my professional opinion,  believe the issue we discussed that day was in any way relevant to his death."

"No, he gave me no indication of any suicidal ideation that afternoon."

"I have no idea where he procured Sgt. Cole's weapon.They were good friends before Mr.Cole's accident. It is entirely possible that he had given him the gun years ago. "

"No,I have not seen or talked to his wife since his death."

[ Suddenly I am very uncomfortable with this foul-smelling, bullish detective who holds his gaze into my eyes a little too long. At last he murmurers "uh huh" to himself and hands me a business card]

"Yes, I will call you if I think of anything else."

[ And he is gone...leaving in his wake halitosis, and a suffocating cloud of Brut. My eyes watering and coughing I open my office window to usher the stench outside. I am left pondering why the cheap cologne would produce such a negative reaction within me. Then I realize it is the same my father used when I was 8 years old.  Jesus. My father. Of course. Conjuring up memories I have spent a lifetime trying to forget. Survive. I walk to the back wash-room and scrub my hands until they are red and shaking. Still feeling nauseated, I ring out to the receptionist and ask her to cancel my last two appointments for the day. ]





---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More anon...

Still fleshing this out. Think I am going to add a mini flashback to his father to this sequence. 








I credit Idgy (who is an amazing sounding board) for both the idea of using Brut in this part of the story and encouraging a flashback to the father in question .  My initial selections were hair tonics (Brylcreem or Vitalis) what I was going for was a scent that when you saw it in writing you could viscerally conjure up the smell. We decided against Old Spice, because...face it...that is the scent of everyone's "grand-pop" and we didn't want it associated negatively.  So after looking up Brut's release date  (1964) and Doctor Richard Troy's birth year  (1957) it was plausible that his dad could very well have used Brut when he was 8 years old.

(...this is the part of writing a novel that most people who are non-writers never even take into consideration...is it actually possible...had a clueless woman once, while discussing re-writes, that made the statement she only ever reads novels that were never re-written. Good luck with THAT...hon...)

That sound in the background...that's Hemingway laughing ~ Or maybe taking another drink.

So, anyway, I am envisioning Dr. Troy....exhausted...having cancelled his last afternoon appointments...head sinking to his polished wood desk..dozing...and perhaps a glimpse of what 8 year old Richard's life was like in a short nightmare...day-mare?

(a nice way to introduce a flashback)

More, maybe tomorrow...and for those of you actually reading along with us...I will obviously mark the NOVEL entries from now on so you don't have to slough through the recipes, virtual travel, politics or the day to day chatter...unless you really want to...






'