Thursday, June 16, 2016

CurleyWurly




This arrived yesterday...perfectly times with the end of England and just before I started my (virtual) adventures of Ireland, Scotland and Wales. As we explore Mayes' British Isles.

You can try one here:

https://www.amazon.com/Cadbury-Curly-Wurly-England-Pack/dp/B000HNF8ZW

You didn't see a huge number of recipes because, quite frankly, I don't much care for British Food. I find it rather bland/dull. I do enjoy a good fry-up. Discovered a tray-bake was pretty much anything...well...baked on a tray. think brownies and pastries and the like.

Example of a Bristol Tray-Bake




A Ha Ha is basically just what we in The States call a ditch.

                    
                                               The Ha Ha at Woolwich


And most of the puddings and duffs I tried were only good because of the "lashings of custard sauce". I think you could shred newspaper and cover it with custard sauce and it would be semi-edible.

I loved Bangers and Mashies. 

And thought Bubble and Squeak was a great way to fry up leftover veggies with cabbage. But it wasn't a taste treat.
It is an auditory experience.

I had heard that Cadbury Chocolate produced in The States was completely different tasting that that of the UK...so I decided to end Jolly Old England on a high note by importing a sweet.

As far as I know we don't even have CurlyWurly's here. Unless Rocket Fizz carries them. A distinct possibility. Mine was shipped with a packet of Black Ice to keep it from melting on its journey across The Pond.

A CurlyWurly is an open braid of caramel covered with Cadbury milk chocolate.
It was somewhat sweeter than the Cadbury produced here and much less waxy. Melted at body temperature like good chocolate. A nice treat!

And so with chocolate on our lips and the sweet taste of caramel lingering from the CurlyWurly...we bid Cheerio-cheers (farewell) to England and head toward the Fox hunts and Green that earned them the nickname "The Emerald Isles" 

Soon: Ireland.