Sunday, June 5, 2016

Novel: The Plan (Continuing with Mark- The Survivor)



[ I am amazed what The General has managed to  do in such a short period of time. Not only are there poster sized pictures of Josh and Jade in several poses playing on Mark's formerly bare walls, but there is "refrigerator art" as well. Enlarged to 24" X 36" and taped within his line of sight. The staff reports that Mark has been extremely cooperative this week with his daily care, and in good humour. When I step into the room he is grinning from ear to ear. ]


"Doc, I can't tell you how much I appreciate all this.  Aren't they beautiful!"

[It is then I realize why The General took the time to enlarge the photos and art to poster size. So Mark could actually SEE them.]

"The General and I have been talking about me getting back on track with the Exo-Shel program. And they have had several plastic surgeons drop by to show me what they can do with my face...and replacing my eye. They have even been telling me they can work on restoring the vision in the one that's left. A Bionic Eye kind of thing. When they get through with me I'll be the Bionic Man! "

[For the first time in a long time, I am the one at a loss for words. I was going to break the news of Jerry's death to him, but not today. Not now. He looks like a man who can see the end of long dark tunnel at last. I am not going to take that away from him. Jerry can wait.]

"The General says the kids are there a lot, now. He is going to videotape them for me, too."

"No. Tracy doesn't know yet. I think she and Jerry must be coming around to the idea, though."


[I murmur non-commmitally, but he is too enthused to notice. Obviously, The General has not shared the news of Jerry's death with him either.]

"I can't tell you how good it feels to just see their faces. They have grown so much since I seen them."

"I think if I get my face fixed and work on getting more independent that they will let me see the kids again! The General seems pretty sure of it. Says if they won't let me see them, that he will!"


[He is beaming.]

"Doc...I want to get my life together again. Will you help me?"

[ I assure him that NOTHING would make me happier. We chat for a long time. Minutia. About Josh and Jade. About The General. About  the Shel Program. About life. I notice that he seems to deliberately not mention Tracy or Jerry again. Right now I glad of that. His happiness and enthusiasm today is my happiness. After our interview, I will call the Exo-Shel Team and discuss how they want to proceed. These are the moments that make this career I chose fulfilling. When I turn to leave the room I stop in the doorway, out of his line of sight and just stand and watch him. His remaining eye devouring the pictures of his little children like a man who has not had food for some time. ]